Razor Drifter Kart mod (I need help...)

GoldenMotor.com

Pjones

Apr 27, 2020
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to convert my electric Razor Drifter Kart over to a gas kart with a weed eater engine

I have a Stihl FS38 (im pretty sure thats it... yeah, thats it) that I can use for the project and I'm wondering about everyones advice on the project.

I'm not convinced the engine will be powerful enough. it is 27.something CC engine which produces 0.65kw output according to the specs (for those who are mathematically inclined, maybe you can tell me what that means to this project)

It has a square drive output and I'm stuck as to how i can attach a gear to it. The drive comes off the clutch bell and I thought I could possibly tap the drive hole and bolt a sprocket to it.... i'm sure there is a better way. I'm open to suggestions.

now for the good stuff... pictures of my junk!

IMG_3480.jpg

Yep, she'll fit all right!

IMG_3435.jpg

The beast and its name :)

C61A67B5-B10C-4749-9A28-E1A63F793011.jpg

a shot of the goods under her skirt ;)

IMG_3488.jpg

Sometimes you just want to see from different angles... I don't judge

IMG_3493.jpg

This is such a bad photo... I thought i had a photo of the drive output but i failed to take one before swiping the motor over to a Kombi shaft to see if it could power the attachments (it cant)

IMG_3495.jpg

that's the drive shaft on the original whipper snipper head, or whatever you want to call it.

I haven't determined what the gear ratio is on the kart right now but figure keeping a similar ratio will either be a good thing... or a bad thing. This was based off physics size so a percentage of error may be present.

I guess I 'll need to figure out how many KW this motor is. Google will be my friend here eventually, but from looking at the diameter of the motor I’m thinking it’s going to be torque’e

IMG_3426.jpg

The motor in it now is a 24V this thing... it spins i think... yeah, it defiantly spins!

Anyway, my time on the computer is up now. I'm curious to hear what you have to say, and if you think this project will work out ok.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyler6357

Pjones

Apr 27, 2020
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to convert my electric Razor Drifter Kart over to a gas kart with a weed eater engine

I have a Stihl FS38 (im pretty sure thats it... yeah, thats it) that I can use for the project and I'm wondering about everyones advice on the project.

I'm not convinced the engine will be powerful enough. it is 27.something CC engine which produces 0.65kw output according to the specs (for those who are mathematically inclined, maybe you can tell me what that means to this project)

It has a square drive output and I'm stuck as to how i can attach a gear to it. The drive comes off the clutch bell and I thought I could possibly tap the drive hole and bolt a sprocket to it.... i'm sure there is a better way. I'm open to suggestions.

now for the good stuff... pictures of my junk!

View attachment 104367
Yep, she'll fit all right!

View attachment 104368
The beast and its name :)

View attachment 104369
a shot of the goods under her skirt ;)

View attachment 104370
Sometimes you just want to see from different angles... I don't judge

View attachment 104371

This is such a bad photo... I thought i had a photo of the drive output but i failed to take one before swiping the motor over to a Kombi shaft to see if it could power the attachments (it cant)

View attachment 104372

that's the drive shaft on the original whipper snipper head, or whatever you want to call it.

I haven't determined what the gear ratio is on the kart right now but figure keeping a similar ratio will either be a good thing... or a bad thing. This was based off physics size so a percentage of error may be present.

I guess I 'll need to figure out how many KW this motor is. Google will be my friend here eventually, but from looking at the diameter of the motor I’m thinking it’s going to be torque’e

View attachment 104378
The motor in it now is a 24V this thing... it spins i think... yeah, it defiantly spins!

Anyway, my time on the computer is up now. I'm curious to hear what you have to say, and if you think this project will work out ok.

Cheers!
Found the googler spat up some information about the motor today...

Razor Ground Force Drifter Electric Go-kart Motor Specification:
  • Razor Part Number: W25143400030
  • Model: MY1016-HD
  • 250 Watt Motor
  • 24 Volt
  • 9 tooth Sprocket
  • Uses #25/#25H Chain
  • Diagonal Bolt Hole Spacing: 104mm
  • 2650 RPM
Good to know, and from what I can tell (without actually looking) is the driven gear is a 32 tooth sprocket. Soooo, 3.56:1 gear ratio.

I will continue searching and updating my progress.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Once you get the weed wacker aprt, what do you have as a shaft (on the engine, not the cable drive)?
You'll need to get a clutch with a sprocket- easy, pocket bike stuff should work.
You'll need to gear it down quite a bit to get any real power from that engine.
I had a 23cc engine on a bike....20 mph max, downhill, with a big dog chasing me.

Hey wait- tHAT's NOt A bIcYCle!

Reactions: Pjones

Pjones

Apr 27, 2020
Once you get the weed wacker aprt, what do you have as a shaft (on the engine, not the cable drive)?
You'll need to get a clutch with a sprocket- easy, pocket bike stuff should work.
You'll need to gear it down quite a bit to get any real power from that engine.
I had a 23cc engine on a bike....20 mph max, downhill, with a big dog chasing me.

Hey wait- tHAT's NOt A bIcYCle!
That’s really promising to hear. Thank you.

My 4yr old and 6yr old will be using it and they are both 40Lbs wet. Of course I would like to use it also if I can but it’s not so much a requirement.

I was hoping to keep the same gear ratio but if you think it won’t work it looks like a 6tooth minibike clutch can be purchased. That would bring it to a 5.34:1 gear ratio. That’s the smallest I’ve seen so far. I’ll have to take the engine apart again to and take more photos. I’m really kicking myself for not doing that. Hopefully it’s a standard engine design, I just don’t recall how the clutch attached very well. I had a glimpse of hope in me that the original gear combination would work onliy because the rear wheels are about 4.5” round. That may not make a difference though when compared to a minibike, depending on how the bikes get geared, because you can fit a much larger socket on a minibike. I haven’t much room to play with gears or a jack shaft unfortunately.

Do you recall what gear ratio you ran on that minibike?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I do not recall. It was a direct drive with the roller running on the tire....so, 2 in roller, 26" tire....52:1? That was right off the engine shaft.
Haha, I'm bad at that.
You should be fine with the kids on it.

Reactions: Pjones