Question about sprocket tooth count - first build

GoldenMotor.com

cheesegeese

Aug 2, 2023
The bike I'm planning to mod is the Gravity BaseCamp 29 DLX24 from bikesdirect. It has 29 inch wheels and a 21 inch frame. I've heard conflicting answers from people online about whether a 36 or 44 tooth sprocket (the only options that come with the kit) is gonna be better for my needs. The kit I'm planning on getting is a BT100. Its essentially gonna be purely for fun and dicking around, so I just want to go as fast as I can. I am 6'2 and 185 lbs. Which sprocket should I get if my only goal is fun?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The bike I'm planning to mod is the Gravity BaseCamp 29 DLX24 from bikesdirect. It has 29 inch wheels and a 21 inch frame. I've heard conflicting answers from people online about whether a 36 or 44 tooth sprocket (the only options that come with the kit) is gonna be better for my needs. The kit I'm planning on getting is a BT100. Its essentially gonna be purely for fun and dicking around, so I just want to go as fast as I can. I am 6'2 and 185 lbs. Which sprocket should I get if my only goal is fun?
What's more important than going fast is being able to stop. Make sure you have a good braking system before being concerned with investing into getting more speed.

At 185 lbs you aren't considered a heavy rider for these engines. So the next question is do you have steep hills to contend with 20%+ grade?

Running a 44t on a 29" tire would be similar to running a 40t on a 26" tire. Running a 36t on a 29" tire would be similar to running a 32t on a 26" tire.

To use a 32t on 26" tires usually requires engine mods be done to improve performance and no steep hills. So unless you're also wanting to do engine mods I suggest using the 44t if you're a flat lander and possibly getting a 48t-52t if you have steep hills to contend with.

Last of all, many of us here aren't big fans of aluminum framed bicycles. When it comes to motorized bicycles most of the old timers like myself prefer steel frames.

Last edited:
Reactions: curtisfox and PeteJ

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
To use a 32t on 26" tires usually requires engine mods be done to improve performance and no steep hills. So unless you're also wanting to do engine mods I suggest using the 44t if you're a flat lander and possibly getting a 48t-52t if you have steep hills to contend with.

Last of all, many of us here aren't big fans of aluminum framed bicycles. When it comes to motorized bicycles most of the old timers like myself prefer steel frames. TRUE! THAT..............Curt