Query on back Hub size

GoldenMotor.com

Paul.C.1970

Sep 12, 2019
Hello people..Can anyone tell me will a 1 inch Sprocket adapter fit my Hub which is 1.13 inch.? Will it make a difffernce.? Or will i get away with it.? Would appreciate Any Advice. Thanks .Paul C..Liverpool England..

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Paul hub adapters are mass marketed 1", 1.25", 1.5" etc. approximate, if your hub were undersize it's a bit of bother.. a little oversize not bad, you want a quite tight fit, not so much that it will crush your hub shell however.

There's a problem with the diameters under 1.5" slipping if they aren't really tight. They just have less contact gripping surface than the larger diameters. Especially since some of the inexpensive hub adapters are also quite narrow. As extra insurance & last resort, I've had success using the strongest grade of thread locker adhesive between the hub and adapter after roughing up both hub and adapter a littler to gain tack with 80 grit paper. Caution with this don't apply this until you've got your chain line and clearances perfect cause once the adhesive sets you won't get it loose without a torch!

Use medium strength thread locker on bolt threads of sprocket and hub adapter & really tighten.

Rick C.

Paul.C.1970

Sep 12, 2019
Paul hub adapters are mass marketed 1", 1.25", 1.5" etc. approximate, if your hub were undersize it's a bit of bother.. a little oversize not bad, you want a quite tight fit, not so much that it will crush your hub shell however.

There's a problem with the diameters under 1.5" slipping if they aren't really tight. They just have less contact gripping surface than the larger diameters. Especially since some of the inexpensive hub adapters are also quite narrow. As extra insurance & last resort, I've had success using the strongest grade of thread locker adhesive between the hub and adapter after roughing up both hub and adapter a littler to gain tack with 80 grit paper. Caution with this don't apply this until you've got your chain line and clearances perfect cause once the adhesive sets you won't get it loose without a torch!

Use medium strength thread locker on bolt threads of sprocket and hub adapter & really tighten.

Rick C.
Thanks Rick you.ve been Dead Helpful buddy I.ll take your advice and funny enough i was thinkin about givin the hub and the Adapter a little sanding to try and get a snugg enough fit..Its my first build Rick so am gettin as much knowledge around it all as poss..Thanks mate..Paul C. Liverpool . England U.K

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
No problems. Keep in mind the 3 bolt is designed for 26" wheels with 36 spokes and works best with tires no wider than 2.2" nominally & the 3 piece-3 bolt style made by Sportsman Flyer clears wide tires easier and grips better.

If you use a coaster brake, the brake lever needs to be bent. PM me if you need a photo of what this looks like.

Rick C.

Paul.C.1970

Sep 12, 2019
Thanks Indian 22 Yeah my wheels a 26" and 36 spoke..But i.ll check out that company Sportman flyer see what theres are like..As for the brake i.ll be usein a V brake coz a disc is just a nightmare and in the way...

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest

Rick C.

they make locktite gap filler. works great on old bikes where there is play, but not worth machining a new piece. i think they got some tht goes up to huge gaps like .03 in size. i wanna say it was in a green bottle, i'd have to go downstairs and have a look in the shop. i'm to lazy right now though

Paul.C.1970

Sep 12, 2019
Why dont you Deuce bags grow up.I was only after a bit of advice..So for fucks sake grow up..Lazy dopes..

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Permatex red is the thread locker I referred to, it's not a gap filler, it's a binder. don't buy an adapter that won't tighten well just by itself. The thread locker is for correct hub and adapter size matchups that slip under torque even though they are really as tight as you can get them. I've also taken about 1/32" total off the flats of the adapter to allow the bolts to draw up tighter, but not enough to collapse the hub shell.

The red thread locker is pretty much a permanent bond if applied to clean surfaces properly & is very difficult to remove without heat.

Rick C.

Paul.C.1970

Sep 12, 2019
Thanks for ya grown up advice them Cunts who are too fkn lazy to give me a decent bit of advice really Grind my gears..Honest am proper new to this ..like a greenhorn on a crab boat. So you coming back on here and giving me advice. I really do appreciate it Rick..ThankyAm just waiting on the Sprocket adapter now from were you are.(U.S.A.) I.ve also managed to source a bike with the right size hub..So i think. I might be ok..(Fit wise.)..Anyho..Thanks again buddy.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for ya grown up advice them Cunts who are too fkn lazy to give me a decent bit of advice really Grind my gears..Honest am proper new to this ..like a greenhorn on a crab boat. So you coming back on here and giving me advice. I really do appreciate it Rick..ThankyAm just waiting on the Sprocket adapter now from were you are.(U.S.A.) I.ve also managed to source a bike with the right size hub..So i think. I might be ok..(Fit wise.)..Anyho..Thanks again buddy.
No problems good luck on your build....enjoy!

Rick C.

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
are you calling me names and talking trash because i work 12 hours a day come home, take care of a household and fel to tired in the middle of the night to go down stairs and check the color of a bottle of locktyte? lmfao. wow. i told ya what it does, and couldn't be sure of the color of the bottle ( which i typed out by the way, and i was right). wow son, just wow.

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
Permatex red is the thread locker I referred to, it's not a gap filler, it's a binder. don't buy an adapter that won't tighten well just by itself. The thread locker is for correct hub and adapter size matchups that slip under torque even though they are really as tight as you can get them. I've also taken about 1/32" total off the flats of the adapter to allow the bolts to draw up tighter, but not enough to collapse the hub shell.

The red thread locker is pretty much a permanent bond if applied to clean surfaces properly & is very difficult to remove without heat.

Rick C.
locktite makes a gap filler. i know, i use the stuff many times a week at work, and sometimes on my own projects. i buy the stuff for my shop at work by the case.

Paul.C.1970

Sep 12, 2019
are you calling me names and talking trash because i work 12 hours a day come home, take care of a household and fel to tired in the middle of the night to go down stairs and check the color of a bottle of locktyte? lmfao. wow. i told ya what it does, and couldn't be sure of the color of the bottle ( which i typed out by the way, and i was right). wow son, just wow.
Yeah well ya know what jimmy bloodmaker in the future just dont bother sayin fuckall rather than sayin am too lazy to go down a couple of stairs..like i.ve said to other people on here..Am brand new lad so ya know any advice is truly appreciated. I apoligise for chattin **** but i was angry at the daft remark about ya bein lazy to go down ya stairs..I appreciate ya advice in terms of that locktite stuff..I understand ya work long hours but alls i needed was proper advice..So listen lets start over..lifes too short my man..