Quadricycle

GoldenMotor.com

Oldfartmorgan

Nov 21, 2017
I want to make a quadricycle with 4 electric wheels on it but I do not know how to hook them up so they work together

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Would help to know what you plan on doing with it, cruising speed you want, and why you need 4 wheel drive and what your electric component budget is as there are plenty of ways to go. Without knowing anything I would do a mid drive for rear wheels, there are several ways to drive the front wheels and coordinate it all.

Oldfartmorgan

Nov 21, 2017
Ok my goal is to make a quadricycle that has speed of 30 with some tow capacity for a small camper trailer to travel the country. The four wheels would have a connector with option of front wheel drive rear drive and all wheel. The assorted drives i would use for uphills or icy roads. As far as budget this would be a hobby I expect to take a little time. My goal is a self sufficient quadricycle that recharges with small solar panels and generator of some sort. I have driver license but wold like to avoid insurance, gas cost, so I can focus more on enjoying life.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Not sure I'd want to do 30 on a quad cycle myself. To push a quad that fast with any range you will need much watts and big 52 volt battery or 2
I would set up a 2 battery system so one can be shut off for 2 wheel drive using geared brushless hubs up front of just 250 /350 watts running off the same thumb throttle and a mid drive for your rear wheels on a separate throttle. The geared hubs have 0 resistance when not powered and freewheel perfectly. So focus on rear wheels as a independent system and front hubs wired in tandem off one controller. There are many videos on you tube etc on how to run two hub drives in tandem. Then just engage front hubs when all wheel drive is needed or extra ummph is wanted. I would call Dillengers in the US here

Oldfartmorgan

Nov 21, 2017
What would be the average speed on something like that. Also a guestimate on range and if can make rechargeable by solar I really appreciate your info thank you, could the rear motor be ran on a motorcycle battery

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Cruise speed might be 25-28 with 48- 52 volt Li ion battery and a 750 watt mid drive.
3-4 Sealed Lead acid motorcycle batteries wired in series would work, but range is severely limited and adds a bunch of weight and they are not that cheap either. so for a little more money you want a light Li ion.. SLA batteries need to put out some serious amps per hour of no less than 10ah to give any range.
Most Motorcycle batteries are like 2.5 AH if memory serves me. Car batteries work but are super heavy and not practical really/
best ask these questions to the people you are planning to buy from. Dilengers has knowledgeable people. Put it this way... if a company cannot answer basic
questions do not buy from them. Let us know when you start your project.

Zip

Oldfartmorgan

Nov 21, 2017
Cruise speed might be 25-28 with 48- 52 volt Li ion battery and a 750 watt mid drive.
3-4 Sealed Lead acid motorcycle batteries wired in series would work, but range is severely limited and adds a bunch of weight and they are not that cheap either. so for a little more money you want a light Li ion.. SLA batteries need to put out some serious amps per hour of no less than 10ah to give any range.
Most Motorcycle batteries are like 2.5 AH if memory serves me. Car batteries work but are super heavy and not practical really/
best ask these questions to the people you are planning to buy from. Dilengers has knowledgeable people. Put it this way... if a company cannot answer basic
questions do not buy from them. Let us know when you start your project.

Zip
OK thank you for the info I greatly appreciate it, I will post pics of my build

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The only problem with the plan is that if it has more than three wheels and isn't able to be human powered usually by pedals and a chain to the wheels/wheel you have a motor vehicle and you would have to have all the safety equipment that a car has.

In short you could never use it on the road legally unless you have it inspected, licensed and insured in your state.

Steve.