Putting a 70cc motor on my stingray...Need some help

GoldenMotor.com

Stingrayboy3312

May 19, 2008
Hello all,

I'm very new here to this forum. In fact I just joined a couple hours ago. I'm going to try to get right to the point. I'm 14 years old and I am looking to motorize my schwinn stingray chopper bicycle (c). My b-day was yesterday and my parents suprised me by telling me I could order a 2-stroke engine. Now, I am very seriously considering buying the 70cc (67cc) motor kit from thatsdax. I DO already have motormount on my stingray for a motor I bought from a guy on ebay. My question is: How is it going to be different mounting a motor on a stingray than on a regular bike. I have looked on this forum for a few hours and couldn't find any thread about mounting a motor on a stingray. Am I just missing it? If I am if someone could just link me to a thread for it that would be awesome. Thank you so much for all of your help and i'm glad to be a member on this forum!

-Stingrayboy

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I can't help you much on the Stingray. I've never messed with one. But welcome to the forum. There are some real knowledgable folks that I bet can help you though. Lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts on this site. I think I remember someone talking about it. I bet you'll like it here. Lots of friendly helpful people...................

Stingrayboy3312

May 19, 2008
I can't help you much on the Stingray. I've never messed with one. But welcome to the forum. There are some real knowledgable folks that I bet can help you though. Lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts on this site. I think I remember someone talking about it. I bet you'll like it here. Lots of friendly helpful people...................
Thank you. I definetaly think I will enjoy the forum and the people on it!

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Welcome to the group Stingrayboy and happy birthday. I also have no experience with setting up a Stingray so I can't really help you. I think there is a Spoiler on here that has been done with a 4-stroke, if you do a search, they might be able to help you some. Looking forward to seing your bike, enjoy the ride...Kelly:ride2:

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
From what I have seen of the bike you shouldnt have that many problems as long as there is the physical space for the motor to fit.

Its always better that you dont have to shoehorn things in to tight spaces as the tighter things are the more likely something that doesnt like heat will come into contact with it.

You might consider the jackshaft kits on the market as well if there are space limitations round the back axle.

I will also say, it is not a great idea to use quick release wheels on MB's - they are not as strong as the bar axles and convenience is nothing when you lose an axle and hit the road at 30mph

good luck with the build

Jemma xx

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Ive seen it done, I will look for the pic or the thread. You will need a 36 tooth or smaller sprocket or it will be low geared. Is it the old school type with the banana seat? Have fun Dave

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I will second the livefast suggestion. They have a package to mount to the Stingray. So you'd need to get a motor kit, then the stingray kit.

http://www.livefastmotors.com/packages.html

Also, I'd watch out. A lot of states require that you have a drivers license to ride a motorized bike. Might be helpful to check your local laws, and maybe even stick with the 50cc for a little more legal safety.

azvinnie

Jul 23, 2008
stingrayboy: l have used both motor mounts.#1, from livefast = its not very good, it will crush the frame tubing on the bike over time.#2, was from barry on ebay = this is the one u want! its strong and will never crack your frame.here are pics of both.
the engine l would recommend is a livefast engine, this is just my opinion, but you really should check out your local laws to see if you can ride a motor assisted bicycle. i think the age is 16 and up, but l could be wrong................later

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
how tight did you tighten those U bolts? Lots of people use them here and I haven't heard of anybody's frame getting messed up because of them....

azvinnie

Jul 23, 2008
didn't tighten them anymore than normal, livefast took it back and gave me a muffler for it so.......im not trying to bad mouth him, l just don't think there safe........l ride fast, like 38mph and i need to know that every part on my ride is rocksolid...........buy the way have you tried barry's motor mount?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I think Jim got a bad batch of them about a year ago (maybe it was just vinnie's)
the main prob was cracks in the mount where the u-bolts went thru (all of them)...causing engine to shift, so we kept tightening
we showed Jim the mount and he gave vinnie a long exhaust in exchange
we have done 4-5 face-to-face deals with him, he is a good vendor

Last edited:

azvinnie

Jul 23, 2008
ya, l hear ya, jims a good guy, but for me its an issue of saftey. l only buy livefast motors cause there the best, trouble free, last for ever and like you said he always answers his phone.......not trying to cause probs, just giving my real world opinion.
this is one of my rides

Attachments

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi vinnie; i called today and was told for my weight i will need a 48 ring i have a 44. so while i wait--where did you find the bars? i dont want ape hangers. i like your bike. mitch

azvinnie

Jul 23, 2008
thanks Mitch for the comments, the bars are from a "stingray Stealth" it was gifted to me, you can only get one from schwinn or pacific cycles. in order to get 1 they want the serial# and date code. l have just ordered another set of bars, they would only sell me 1, as l only own 1 bike like that. this was a bummer, cause l wanted to buy 3 or 4 of them.
as far as the 48 vs 44 vs 36 sprocket(ring) l have used all of them. l'm 145 and use a 36t sprocket, this is a better choice(weight dosen't really matter) as it will keep your RPM's down and makes for a faster ride.
anyway...............................later(c)

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Vinnie I like your bike nice build. Did you make the tank? Moving the seat back with the post looks good.They will only let you have a new set of bars if you give them a serial no. Interesting, I thought parts were money and if you sell them you get some LOL. Have fun, Dave

azvinnie

Jul 23, 2008
thanks dave, ya i dont' really get why they do it that way but, l have like 10 of these bikes that have serial# and date codes#. the tank was purchased on ebay with no cap and had to fab a bung and cap for it. l painted it and put high heat gloss on it so the gas won't eat the paint. the set back seat post helped with where l sit on the bike, makes it alot more comfortable for me. right now l'm building my 3rd electric trike, so im real busy with that right now. anyway thanks for the comments dave.........................later

mobilgal

Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
I just bought a stingray and wish to install a motor. I can't find Barry who sells the better motor mounts on ebay. Anyone have contact information for him?