Pull starts...yay or nay?

GoldenMotor.com

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
6E87EB5D-C1F8-4872-96D5-9BFF843ADD05.png
69A27644-E1E3-4A4C-8772-D292C7CE653F.png
So this is the pull start I ordered on Amazon... after reading a lot of posts there seems to be very mixed but 50/50 reviews on pull starters for these engines. I have read that I may have to file down the bolts on it to prevent any grinding inside or near the magneto. I guess what I’m asking from everyone is should I even use this this on my engine or am I rolling the dice on ruining the engine? I have yet to tackle the pedals not clearing yet since I don’t understand yet how to install wider crank pedals. I did think about heating them up and trying to bend them but now sure. Any suggestions/advice welcome, thank you!

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
That'd be a 'yay' from me then.
No complaints after I fitted the same pull start to my Indian Board Tracker tribute.
Clearance wise, I solved the wide crank issue by welding an extra boss onto the left side crank arm. Neatest and cheapest solution for me 'cause I'm in the UK, where wide crank pedals aren't readily available, so buying a set wasn't an option. See pics.
FYI: I just recently saw wide 3-piece crank sets for sale on US eBay costing $18. Go buy a set and you're all sorted.

RSCN3429.JPG

FSCN3431.JPG

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
Man y’all are posting some beauties!!! Holy smokes those are nice looking bikes! Thanks for the responses!

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
That'd be a 'yay' from me then.
No complaints after I fitted the same pull start to my Indian Board Tracker tribute.
Clearance wise, I solved the wide crank issue by welding an extra boss onto the left side crank arm. Neatest and cheapest solution for me 'cause I'm in the UK, where wide crank pedals aren't readily available, so buying a set wasn't an option. See pics.
FYI: I just recently saw wide 3-piece crank sets for sale on US eBay costing $18. Go buy a set and you're all sorted.

View attachment 96596

View attachment 96597
Do you have any pictures or details on how you welded that left side crank? I’m not sure what a “boss” is. Also with the 3 piece crank set how do you know if it’ll fit my bike or not? I am getting ready to put a Zeda80 kit on a Huffy Nel Lusso cruiser I bought new from a big box.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Do you have any pictures or details on how you welded that left side crank? I’m not sure what a “boss” is. Also with the 3 piece crank set how do you know if it’ll fit my bike or not? I am getting ready to put a Zeda80 kit on a Huffy Nel Lusso cruiser I bought new from a big box.
Sorry, no pics showing how I reworked the left side pedal. Easily explained tho...
My bikes feature 3-piece cranks. In this instance, the "boss" I referred to is nothing more than the end of the pedal crank arm which fits onto the crank shaft (in my case a longer 3R crankshaft). I simply cut off the boss from a spare crank arm I had lying around and welded it onto my left side crank arm - effectively doubling the length of the boss and spacing the crank arm sufficiently outboard to clear the pull start's casing as shown in the pic I posted.
I'm not sure if your nel lusso has a 3-piece crank. Maybe it has a one-piece crank. In either case, the simplest way to solve your problem of pedal clearance is to swap-out your bike's existing crank set for a wide crank set. However, it's worth pointing out a wide crank set will space-out both pedals when you really only need the left side pedal to clear your bike's pull start. Which was another reason I opted to go the route I took.