Project Molotov

GoldenMotor.com

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
look out, WalterF, i'm back in the Summer Junkyard Build! the 49cc Franco Morini has been ordered and i'm preparing an old rustbucket coaster bike that i picked up Saturday at a roadside vegetable stand.

except for the gleaming Italian powerhouse and expansion chamber, the Molotov will be a bike of the junkyard/ratbike style. i put the wide rim from my old MTB on front and borrowed a fat tire from the Goodwill Jaguar and pedaled her around the neighborhood yesterday. i'll work out a couple of kinks and put a new tire on back and she'll be ready for that engine.

pictures to follow as soon as possible.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Let me see if I got this right, you bought a brand spanking new "eye"talian motor, 3hp or more and your gonna put it on some rattyassed POS you got on the side of the road? Uncle Kudzu you are a piece of work!

Well a least you got something going, lets see some pics, probably need to see this in small doses. (c) Walter F.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Let me see if I got this right, you bought a brand spanking new "eye"talian motor, 3hp or more and your gonna put it on some rattyassed POS you got on the side of the road?
that sums it up pretty handily, but the whole will be greater than the sum of the parts. there's something about a nice patina of rust that makes my heart go pitter-patter. and that 3HP jewel of an engine dropped in to that finely aged setting will be the centerpiece of my work of motorized art. poetry in motion she's gonna be, WalterF, poetry in motion.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Tell me about that bike Uncle Kudzu ? Are you planning to do a restoration or just team up with mother nature and play it from there. I've seen some old timers lately and I'd guess they were pre WW2 with the original paint scheme still barely visible under the rusty patina.

There's just something about vintage that draws attention. I've seen that phenomonon over and over today with young people. I guess it's cause the movement to build your own stuff is a novel idea. Most of them have learned to "Hack" electronic gizmo's and a few are lucky enough to have dads with time enough and tools to show them how to do some things. I can't remember the last time I saw kids rolling down a hill on wooden "soap box" carts.

One place I go just to see how boys and men used to make things in pre WW2
times :

http://www.lindsaybks.com/

They sell reprints of old how to's from the earlier part of the last century.
I first started buying books from them when I was in school of Art & Design.

In more modern times there is:

makezine.com: MAKE: Magazine

You can find the magazine in bookstores. It's like a boy scout manual and rather pricey. (but worth it)

i-Hacked.com is an interesting place too. (note the hyphen)

I-Hacked.com Taking Advantage Of Technology - Home

There has been a rekindled interest in trying to get people to take interest in
encouraging boys to build things with their hands once again. Books like "The Dangerous Book For Boys" is an interesting concept & best seller. (it was soon followed by "The Dangerous Book for Girls".

The advantage of theaching these skills to young lads is the development of good judgement, and good skill sets can be learned while they are growing up. Thus the quality goes in as they grow up. It's hard for the military or industry to build that into 21 year olds who grew up in front of game consoles or TV having done little else but that and attend school.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I heard the good news today at the shop Uncle! I can't wait to see what you've got cooking! Pics ASAP:ride2:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
eDJ, i am for some reason drawn to the ratbike aesthetic in motorcycles, so the patina will for the most part stay. i was happy to discover that there exists a healthy rat bicycle culture too.

you are a font of useful info, eDJ! i lack the electronic skills for many of the projects in Make, but i regularly look at it at the library. i bet you'd also like the Instructables site. i can't wait to look at some of the other sites that you mentioned!

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
yup, Easy, it's official - Pipelyne Dean's gonna fix me up with the little Morini :D

due to camera failure, those photos will have to wait. i may have to dust off my old 35mm if they still make film.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Uncle Kudzu, when I first started looking at Easy Rider magazine years ago I noticed the Trash or Rat Harley's. I sensed there was a nostalgia for the old
cycles just as there are some old rust bucket 1947 Farmall tractors chugging around here every spring. I know some are enamored with the trick paint that makes anything it's on look like an amusement park ride but I figure to each his own.

For awhile I remember people wanted those lace table cloth paint jobs. Or the wicked metal flake jobs....not to mention those phosphorescent Marada & Flip Flop paint jobs. But I've always been a basic solid colors person with the bright colors used on small areas or things.

It will be interesting to see what it looks like when you're done, and I promise I won't make fun of it. ;)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Did you know that we have the same bottom end so if you decide on more power...(from what I was told) you can change the cylinder and piston.

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
look out, WalterF, i'm back in the Summer Junkyard Build! the 49cc Franco Morini has been ordered and i'm preparing an old rustbucket coaster bike that i picked up Saturday at a roadside vegetable stand.
Where did you order the engine from, and how much did it cost?

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Where did you order the engine from, and how much did it cost?
Dean at Pipelyne Mfg in San Jose is putting the kit together for me. should cost about $500USD, which ain't bad considering that i've seen the engine alone selling for a little over $400.

look at some of EasyRider's stuff in this forum if you're interested in a similar engine and kit.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Update! This Just In: The Morini has Landed!

that's right, WalterF, the Crown Jewel is soon to be placed in her setting! this shadetree mechanic will be ready to shake, rattle, and roll pretty soon. haven't heard anything out of the Skunk Werks lately...

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I'll have to give it to you, that's a nice lookin' piece of plunder. Don't let it sit in the rain to get patina.

Update from das "Skunk Werks": "The California Kid" is ready, today was clean up and photo shoot. Tomorrow we begin "sea trials". I'll post photos as soon as they are back.

I won't get on you too bad today since you're so happy about your new "macaroni burner" enjoy and make sure your nuts are tight!! HAPPY TRAILS Walter F.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Update from das "Skunk Werks": "The California Kid" is ready, today was clean up and photo shoot. Tomorrow we begin "sea trials". I'll post photos as soon as they are back.
well, looks like the Kid is gonna be on the streets before the Molotov after all. can't wait to see how you squeezed that Happy Times into a 20" frame. we're all looking forward to those photos, Walty.