Predator motor

GoldenMotor.com

Whiskey Rider

Jun 20, 2022
Hello, I'm new to motorized bicycles. I built high performance and racing motors for show cars and hot rods. I've recently been interested in board track racers and purchased a frame and forks from Sportsman. I've been looking at the predator 3 hp motor and an upgrade kit from Sportsman cycles. Has anyone used a predator motor and/or the Sportsman upgrade kit? Can you offer any thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you

Whiskey Rider

Jun 20, 2022
The biggest questions are what are your expectations; what purpose do you want it for and are there legal matters to consider???
I am building this for me, I want to build something that pays tribute to the original boardtrackers.
I want to build an eye catching daily rider. Not too concerned about the legal matters at this time. Just looking for input.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I am building this for me, I want to build something that pays tribute to the original boardtrackers.
I want to build an eye catching daily rider. Not too concerned about the legal matters at this time. Just looking for input.
If you live in the USA laws and regulations can vary from state to state. Some states aren't very strict about enforcing their regulations as long as you fully and completely obey the traffic laws. However, some states are very strict on enforcing their regulations.

The reason I tell you this is past builders have sank a lot of time and money into a build just to discover the police wouldn't allow them to ride on the public roadways.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Hello, I'm new to motorized bicycles. I built high performance and racing motors for show cars and hot rods. I've recently been interested in board track racers and purchased a frame and forks from Sportsman. I've been looking at the predator 3 hp motor and an upgrade kit from Sportsman cycles. Has anyone used a predator motor and/or the Sportsman upgrade kit? Can you offer any thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you
I like the Honda 160cc Sportsman uses
Pat got it all figure out, Follow his lead

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum WR, for the sake of personal connection and transpariency sign off with your Cristian name as most of the hi-grade builders do. It's a small personal loosely connected club within the forum.
When guys like VMB aka Norm, or Curt, or Jerry. Wrench ? Makes good points too.
I began my Sportsman Flyer journey the last half of 2016 and know everything you don't want to do empirically.

First offering.
Just buy a built bike with your specs from Pat unless this is intended as a hobby build, whch you want to make costly mistakes. (Here I should plant my smiling face.)
Per Curt, a reworked engine from AGK is an option I chose to forgo, having a machine shop.
Last Spring seeking more power from my 79cc Predi, I did the full AGK treatment.
Port, polish, .050" head deck, heavy valve springs, remove governor, and ARC billet flywheel.
Everything else is pretty much stock Flyer from Pat.
At present, I have not proved out my latest carb adjustments. Now you are on board I better get back to work.
Some threads of mine that may be of interest.
(1) 79cc Sportsman Flyer build | Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum (motorbicycling.com)
(1) Bike builders that have machine tools/shops | Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum (motorbicycling.com)
Best regards,
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Another reason to consider the 212cc Predator is that most builders of 3hp bikes quickly realize they need more power... Not just for top speed, but for hill climbing & ease of take off.

Even if you choose not to modify the engine, the 212cc has twice the power at the same price, & the 212 is very adequate without any mods.

Whiskey Rider

Jun 20, 2022
Another reason to consider the 212cc Predator is that most builders of 3hp bikes quickly realize they need more power... Not just for top speed, but for hill climbing & ease of take off.

Even if you choose not to modify the engine, the 212cc has twice the power at the same price, & the 212 is very adequate without any mods.
Thank you, the advice is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon