Piston Clips?

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have a couple of jug rebuilds here, and I have not been impressed with the wire clips. Has anyone out sourced a better after market clip anywhere. I just don not know what to think of these clips by the time I get them in they seem loose to me. I got a jumbo pack of retaining rings from Harbor Freight still not the right size.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I have a couple of jug rebuilds here, and I have not been impressed with the wire clips. Has anyone out sourced a better after market clip anywhere. I just don not know what to think of these clips by the time I get them in they seem loose to me. I got a jumbo pack of retaining rings from Harbor Freight still not the right size.
The wire clips are fine...you must remove them carefully...the same way you would remove a piston ring. As long as you don't "spring" them out of shape when you remove them...They will be fine.

Jim

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ok so its simple you guys are telling me whats your trick? Mine seem loose not as tight as the factory install.

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
You have probably stretched them, it will not take much to do that, they should fit snug back in their Goat Herder, you don't want them to wobble around like you are mentioning", I would suggest replacing them with new ones

Cheers

Brains

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
This happened to me with new clips , some special twist motion to get them in? I gave this quit a stare. Can't say I am impressed . I was using combinations of needle nose plyers, and a piece of nlyon plastic, { Its stronger than my fingernails } for the last little push.

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
Hopefully by the sounds of things its all okay now?, you are right though its not just a matter of shoving them in there willy nilly, you can hear them actually snap into place, are the components you bought from the actuall supplier of the original engines?

Cheers

Brains

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
From what I have seen weather bushed or needle bearing they are all the same clip. I do like the bushed engine over needle one seams to me they last longer. I checked mine for wear after 5000 mean miles virtually no wear at all , and it was way sturdier than the needle I am gonna check with some local small engine shops to explore alternatives just to see whats there for a clip I might like better.

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
I dont have any issues with roller bearings on two storkes, all 2 stroke big name brands all use them, yes the load bearing is not evenly dispursed like a bush, but the engine has far less resistance to motion inertia, and less resisitance will always allow the motor to spin more freely, I have personally never had the issue you are stating, but I must say I always change all bearings to Australian made ones, but would be interested in hearing what you find Goat Herder

Cheers

Brains

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Went to the Yamaha bike shop asked about clips. I handed the guy my piston, he started typing in the computer. Had to explain this CH won't be in there told him what it was. He went in back for awhile , and came out with a baggy with three clips inside. I loved it they were just what I had been looking for! So I got home stare at it there perfect! I had to set that aside to replace a 5000 mile old dog on Blue. { my 5000 mile old Schwin ] Got a China 67cc from Thatsdax took jug off to look over any porting mods. WOUD"NT YOU KNOW IT IT HAD THE EXACT SAME CLIPS AS THE YAMAHA SHOP GAVE ME. my problem solved there are two styles of clips that I know of now. I wish I had a camera I would post pict.dance1

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Part number is [all-most like survey says] [the old game show] 93450-11021 smaller under the number is k060803a . Hope this helps its made in Japan!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Sad thing I told Thatsdax what I was up to he did not stock the clips ,But he gave me a great deal on a new engine. Kings Motor Bikes was very nice good guy there too he sent me spare clips that I played with all of his stuff is fine by me too! My first ch was one of his I gots to tame this new CH dog awhile break in, new sounds, rattling clanging etc. , but being diff crank in these dogs my old CH was sweeeeet ! I think it revved with less vibes One last thing Kings They are home of the three ring piston for a overhaul. Everything good life is Beautiful hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!! Oho last The only thing wrong was his clips ,just could not make freinds withem did not work with me . I am not complaining with the guy or Thatsdax they are just fine by me!!!!!

Last edited: