Pinning The Clutch

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by 5-7HEAVEN, Apr 24, 2017.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Well-Known Member

Years ago, I read about kids sticking bits of wood between their bike's centrifugal clutch and bell-housing, then kick-starting their motorized bike/minibike.

I'm guessing that soon after the engine started, bits of wood were eaten up or expelled by the spinning clutch or bell.

Is this truth or urban legend?

Could it be done in the small engines' modern-day centrifugal clutches?

2. curtisfox

curtisfox Active Member

Never heard of it, but wood has oil or sap and would gum it after time. Look up Goldy's " BSA copy " he used powels from a rope start recoil ..............Curt

3. 5-7HEAVEN

What are powels?

Do you mean dowels?

4. curtisfox

curtisfox Active Member

Prolly not right but I call them that, little spring loaded arms that catch the rewind when you spin it. After it starts it spins free, as thee rewind stops. Neet little deal he did mounting them to a clutch ............Curt

5. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

You mean pawls, I think.

6. curtisfox

curtisfox Active Member

Not a English major just a backyard mechanic, LOL but ya think you are right. .......Curt

7. Kioshk

Kioshk Active Member

Bairdco, you misspelled "Paul's" I think.

8. 5-7HEAVEN

Paul's on first, powels on second, dowel's rounding third, and pawl's made it home.laff

9. JerryAssburger

I got stranded one time with a gokart with cent/clutch and a broken pull-start. Jammed about 4 or 5 pop can tops into the bell, and gave it a shove- took a few tries, but it has been done. Once the motor fires, the bits go flying. This is the gokart.

[​IMG]

...a very short video of it in action.
    https://youtu.be/zCX2mwjTdd0

....ah, the Glory Days!

10. Ichigo

Ichigo New Member

Yeah, its true. My minibike centrifugal clutch bearings were so worn out that I had to stuff twigs in there to keep it from vibrating and shaking so it would start.

11. 5-7HEAVEN

The reason I asked is because I was looking for an alternate way of starting my Tanaka and pocket bike engines. They all utilize the pocket bike 5:1 transmissions. The clutch bells are fully enclosed; there's no easy way of pinning the clutch.

I'm an old guy. I'm tired of yanking the pull start, ESPECIALLY if the engine(s) don't want to start on the second pull.

Instead, I'm in the middle of adapting Troy-Bilt's electric drill starting mechanism to all my engines.