Phatmoto Rover clutch

GoldenMotor.com

Weakbiscuits

Aug 22, 2020
I'm hoping this isn't too vague of a question. My husband and I both have phatmoto 2020 Rover. We keep having clutch issues, which i just think it's just below average factory clutches that we had. I've ordered about heavy duty Hillard clutch. 3/4 in bore #35. Hasn't arrived yet but I've been reading reviews but not quite sure we're going to be happy with those. My question is how do we go about finding the best clutch options for our bikes? Tia

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
I'm hoping this isn't too vague of a question. My husband and I both have phatmoto 2020 Rover. We keep having clutch issues, which i just think it's just below average factory clutches that we had. I've ordered about heavy duty Hillard clutch. 3/4 in bore #35. Hasn't arrived yet but I've been reading reviews but not quite sure we're going to be happy with those. My question is how do we go about finding the best clutch options for our bikes? Tia
Hi Biscuits, I also have a 2020 Phatmoto Rover and like you I had bad clutch problems at first until I bought a generic clutch on Ebay which worked perfectly for a month or so before it began to squeal too. Now since I have been giving it a shot of WD40 before every ride I have not had any problems. The spray is directed at the back side of the clutch where the bushing sits on the engine shaft. I have got so good at this spraying now I don't even remove the black cover when I do it. I poke the red tube through the gap between the cover and the engine and direct the spray at the engine shaft.
My Bike is now running great.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Hi Biscuits, I also have a 2020 Phatmoto Rover and like you I had bad clutch problems at first until I bought a generic clutch on Ebay which worked perfectly for a month or so before it began to squeal too. Now since I have been giving it a shot of WD40 before every ride I have not had any problems. The spray is directed at the back side of the clutch where the bushing sits on the engine shaft. I have got so good at this spraying now I don't even remove the black cover when I do it. I poke the red tube through the gap between the cover and the engine and direct the spray at the engine shaft.
My Bike is now running great.

Weakbiscuits

Aug 22, 2020
Is that you in the video. You and I have the exact same bike. My husband has the red one.
So do you think that Hillard heavy duty clutch we have coming will be a good enough clutch? And thank you for the wd40 tip. Definitely will keep some close. Do you have the link for the clutch you purchased, for future reference? Tia

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Is that you in the video. You and I have the exact same bike. My husband has the red one.
So do you think that Hillard heavy duty clutch we have coming will be a good enough clutch? And thank you for the wd40 tip. Definitely will keep some close. Do you have the link for the clutch you purchased, for future reference? Tia
Yes that is my bike in the video the same color as yours. I love the yellow ones, I think they are so eye catching and colorful. I have no experience with the Hillard clutch, but I have heard of cases of them failing at the key way. Maybe that is because people are removing the governors and making the engine work harder than it was designed to.
This is the clutch that I have been using for the past 6 months or so.

No matter what clutch you end up using they all need daily lubrication of the shaft and bushing.

Enjoy your bikes!

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Davideo is right, but WD40 is not really a lube it's a water displacement. Better yet your suppose to take them apart and clean every so often, and lube with grease, one little drop. And avoid getting any on the drum or shoes, my choice would one tiny drop of STP, rub it around. There is also Bully clutches, but the price is more then most kits.
Do a search on how to clean and lube a clutch, and also the proper springs for the application is important...........Curt

Weakbiscuits

Aug 22, 2020
Ty for all the feedback.
Do you guys have any issues finding jackshaft parts? When someone tried to steal our bikes they rolled into the woods across the streets and they fell over. We've been replacing parts ever since. One issue we consistently had is jackshaft issues. We ordered replacement kits from gasbikes.net but the kits they sent don't work. The rod doesn't fit.
Davideo is right, but WD40 is not really a lube it's a water displacement. Better yet your suppose to take them apart and clean every so often, and lube with grease, one little drop. And avoid getting any on the drum or shoes, my choice would one tiny drop of STP, rub it around. There is also Bully clutches, but the price is more then most kits.
Do a search on how to clean and lube a clutch, and also the proper springs for the application is important...........Curt

Weakbiscuits

Aug 22, 2020
I'm pretty sure that is what he does
Ty for all the feedback.
Do you guys have any issues finding jackshaft parts? When someone tried to steal our bikes they rolled into the woods across the streets and they fell over. We've been replacing parts ever since. One issue we consistently had is jackshaft issues. We ordered replacement kits from gasbikes.net but the kits they sent don't work. The rod doesn't fit.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Shafts are usually 5/8" or 3/4".
Double check with a caliper, as they might be metric.
Jackshafts are better if the sprockets are specific to your purpose.

Buy sprockets, lock collars and bearings on ebay.

Not too difficult.

Weakbiscuits

Aug 22, 2020
Shafts are usually 5/8" or 3/4".
Double check with a caliper, as they might be metric.
Jackshafts are better if the sprockets are specific to your purpose.

Buy sprockets, lock collars and bearings on ebay.

Not too difficult.
Ty. The hard part is my husband is off course the mechanic of our bikes. But he's not computer savvy at all so I'm having to try to put into words the translations of our issues. Lol. But ty guys very much

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Ty. The hard part is my husband is off course the mechanic of our bikes. But he's not computer savvy at all so I'm having to try to put into words the translations of our issues. Lol. But ty guys very much
Buscuits, do you have 2020 models or 2019, there are different types of shafts on each year Phatmoto. Maybe that is the reason the replacement shafts did not fit, possibly they sent you the wrong type. This is the Kit for 2020 model. https://www.gasbike.net/products/phatmoto-rover-jackshaft-kit?ref=isp_rel_prd&isp_ref_pos=2 and for 2019 model requires this kit. https://www.gasbike.net/products/phatmoto-rover-jackshaft-clutch-kit-all-models

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I understand. I can barely turn my computer and phone on.:(

Tell him to measure the shaft diameter carefully, then order the bearings and parts that fit the shaft.

For more low end power, use a smaller jackshaft sprocket, furthest from the engine.....

ORRR a larger jackshaft sprocket closer to the engine.

For more speed, exactly the opposite.

Good luck.:)

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hi Biscuits,
You and your husband have great rides. I almost bought on my self, the introductory price was way tempting.
Curtis mentioned Bully clutches. He is right, they don't come cheap. But my experience with one set up for use on a 79cc Predator engine. Well ya get what you pay for. Set up for the engine the clutch stays locked up to engine brake off throttle. A useful feature other centrifugal clutches cannot provide. Bully's come with a squeeze packet of silicone grease which has yet to be needed. If you and your husband want to upgrade.
Tom