Outside the box?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not really....

I was just thriough an interesting series of events that got me to this post.

I was out riding my little Yamaha scooter, thinking about all my various building options and I came over a hill, and ther it was.

There were two guys getting ready to take off in a Diamond Star, all composite, homebuilt aircraft. I was thinking about that, and the other planes I have worked on over the years and realized there are several building mediums we don't use that would be perfectly acceptable.

Fiberglass over foam- Carve and sand a tank, cover with glass, acetone the foam out- instant easy to build tanks! Well, pretty easy and unlimited possibilities.

Aluminum tube and pop rivets- Many safe flyable ultralights are built this way. Relatively cheap (Pilot Supplies, Avionics, and Homebuilt Aircraft Parts from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co.) and easy once a few rules are learned.

Wood- YEAH baby! Ply, clear white pine, spruce, fir- all available locally and cheap. Make a mistake? Big deal, use it on something smaller. Light, strong, unusual. Try it, you'll like it. Most have some woodworking tools.

Get that brain working and imaginate on the possibilities.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Joe I don't know what you're smokin' but I want some! You & Dan and his "flyin' bicycle; you guys are over medicating. May all your clouds be little white puffy ones! Walter F

Next you guys will have Deacon wanting to fly!!!

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
While aircraft endure some serious forces, they are different kinds of forces than bicycles do. That being said, some of these techniques could be adapted.

And it's not exactly what you said....but who says we don't use fiberglass for our tanks?

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Joe I don't know what you're smokin' but I want some! You & Dan and his "flyin' bicycle; you guys are over medicating. May all your clouds be little white puffy ones! Walter F

Next you guys will have Deacon wanting to fly!!!
snork, snork. rotfl

I would like to learn how to work with fiberglass and do a tank for cruisers. Below the top tube and above supports. (do they have a name?) Just make it wide enough to make it worthwhile with a spill proof cap. Hadn't really thought much about it being doable.

Thanks Joe

Last edited: