OMG I have to tune a CNS!!! Help

GoldenMotor.com

Sanction

Jun 1, 2011
Central Florida
I just find it strange that on some if you pull the vent tube out of the air intake they run better, and some have no change. Is there such a difference from Carb to Carb?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just find it strange that on some if you pull the vent tube out of the air intake they run better, and some have no change. Is there such a difference from Carb to Carb?
The only way removing the vent tube could make any difference is if it was pinched to start with. It's just a vent tube to the float bowl. It really doesn't matter if it's vented to the air cleaner, or the atmosphere. It's not like it's a crankcase vent, or something like that going into the air cleaner.

6cylturbo

May 22, 2011
Indiana
I can see thru the hose so no pinch there. I have not had the carb apart to see if the vent tube has an obstruction though. Still runs great and I've put on 8 or so miles since I taped off the hole and put a weedwacker gas line filter on the vent tube.

According to my iPhone app I hit 28 mph on my way home from work. Still have everything original and running heavy fuel/oil breaking mix. Idles, accelerates and maintains top speed no problem.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It does make a differance, on my 48cc with a stock air cleaner the engine was drawing fuel from the carb bowl. Was worst when climbing a grade. Hey B/N the differance may be that mine is on a 48cc but its the same carb. that comes in the 66cc kit.

Last edited:

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
This may be a very strange question, but I am getting ready to go through this whole process. My only problem is the drill bits my dad has a set of micro bits but we have no way of telling which size each bit is-extremely old set. he suggest that I ask if one of you guys could use a micrometer and measure the size of each drill bit so that we can make our cns carbs work.

If anyone would take the time to do so it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sanction

Jun 1, 2011
Central Florida
Floats are set, C-Clip is in the middle (3rd slot), and my first Jet Drilling is completed from #70 to #69. Testing after the holidays.

Drilling the jet one size at a time.
I find this process not only good for checking the performance for the correct size, but also making it easy to drill. I drilled from #70 to #69 by hand with ease. Making a large step, say #70 to #66 would require a more precision method of drilling such as a drill press and vise for example. In steps, it's more like reaming out the hole rather then drilling it out. I used a small aluminum hand drill that came with my micro drill bit set.
Picture and info in link below.
Amazon.com 21 Pc Micro Drill Bit Set $7.75 w/free shipping

Happy Independence Day!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I stoped by a H/F store in Alabama last week but did not see the calipers, did fine a micro drill set and a angle die grinder. I don't know if I need another I allready have two dial calipers, one is metric. Two slide calipers Lyman, Rcbs.

Helen Weals

Jun 18, 2011
penns woods
Snap On has a real nice drill set for jetting #YA246A .If you dont have access to a dealer you can buy online. My Skyhawk 66 works well with #66 and clip second from bottom. Pulls hills great with slight fourstoking WOT without load.Im still using break in mix.Gonna wait for anymore tuning till after break in is over

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Snap On has a real nice drill set for jetting #YA246A .If you dont have access to a dealer you can buy online. My Skyhawk 66 works well with #66 and clip second from bottom. Pulls hills great with slight fourstoking WOT without load.Im still using break in mix.Gonna wait for anymore tuning till after break in is over
Good job. Did your bike run as bad out of the box as most peoples?

Helen Weals

Jun 18, 2011
penns woods
Yes very poor. my first adjustment was to change needle and discovered I did not have carb pushed on fully, "snapped on "The needle change helped but did not cure. drilling the jet made it come alive. by using the drills as a gauge original jet was #70 I drilled one step larger a time until it could pull the hill that goes from my house to the road. I never worked on many 2 cyc. motorcycles, but many chain saws and always tuned to fourstoking, backed off to lean and find the middle then add a littleto the rich if that makes any sense

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
I notice after riding for about 10mins it starts to bog down. Is this a air issue, I've drilled the jet to #64 and have clip at the middle position. My spark plug is black but it's not gunking up, it's slightly wet but nothing serious. I've been running about a week now still breaking in.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I notice after riding for about 10mins it starts to bog down. Is this a air issue, I've drilled the jet to #64 and have clip at the middle position. My spark plug is black but it's not gunking up, it's slightly wet but nothing serious. I've been running about a week now still breaking in.
I wouldn't go any futher till you finish break in and start the regular pre mix. What spark plug are you using?

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Autolite 4093 I believe not sure about the numbers. I did have it drilled to 66, but after I notice it bogging I went to the max it said here. I think it's 4stroking too, I've ran the clip at the second highest setting but it didn't seem to have power and was still 4 stroking, or at least I think it is.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Autolite 4093 I believe not sure about the numbers. I did have it drilled to 66, but after I notice it bogging I went to the max it said here. I think it's 4stroking too, I've ran the clip at the second highest setting but it didn't seem to have power and was still 4 stroking, or at least I think it is.
These motors seem to be kind of sensitive spark plugs. It might be worth $2 to try a NGK BP6HS

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
So i got my bike going and i feel like it ran really well right out of the box. it does loose power up hills, but is that to be expected im 195 lbs. my clip is on the the stock position i believe secound from the top. if i move that or down will that help? also there is little red gasket i put it between gas can and petcock does it go there?

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I'm glad I can finally join in this topic.

I am the proud owner of a CNSv2/GenB carb, and I'm even prouder that I got it working.

Everything I did is as follows.

Tightened BOTH jets.
Adjusted float tang.
Chopped choke cable.
Replaced cover with drilled out NT cover.
Replaced intake with MM intake (though I should have tested teflon tape first).