Offset intake puts carb on an angle

GoldenMotor.com

stevennf94

Sep 3, 2020
Newfoundland, Canada
Just got an offset inrake cause the throttle cable struggled to clear the frame. The offset intake makes my carb slanted. Is it bad to run a carb at this angle? I have no access to welding. Should i try to heat it and bend it?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Briggs build I have I made an adapter to set float bowl level where I used an elbow bend to clear the frame. 15 degrees is what I read Briggs allowed for oil splash lube and maybe carb too.

I think the throttle cable is now having a situation where it interferes with the frame you say. Heating beside having to remove all gas and oil for safety is one thing, but changing the metal an softening it you don't want. I mean the way they specially quench metal to achive hardness. Not sure with but Briggs carb where I had to make my own adapter when engine is no longer on a lawn edger, I designed my own.

Maybe throttle cable could be adapted, but others with China MB engines would best know that.

I did notch out an area to clear a belt and sheave on rear wheel drive, but I welded additional metal overkill metal to compensate.

A nice wide radius bend is best for ease of cable movement on the throttle. If it binds best be sure an engine kill switch is working. I have both a button and a toggle switch as a back up incase. Throttle really has to move freely to be safe.

MT

Last edited:

stevennf94

Sep 3, 2020
Newfoundland, Canada
Im gonna try and run it anyways and see what happens. I realized that even with the stock intake the carb is slanted and that most stock kits end up with a slanted carb when the engine is mounted flush with the bike frame. Does seem to be a design flaw though

wolframore

Nov 10, 2016
Illinois
It is what it is. With all the different frames and ways to mount the engine a one size fit all never works. Same with the stock exhaust, sometimes I have to bent it, weld it other times they fit just fine. I recently had to cut an offset reweld and add an extension to get absolutely level carb.

32D65BB7-C360-4413-8CC3-BE9845011634.jpeg

Reactions: MEASURE TWICE