Not getting any spark

GoldenMotor.com

Fletch

Aug 8, 2018
I'm using the new "BT80" electric start motor. My CDI stopped giving me spark, but one off an old China girl motor would give me a spark, only I couldn't run my bike with it. I assumed I needed a new CDI, so I got the one that comes with this style motor, and still I get no spark from the CDI. Only getting a spark from the China Girl CDI. Could I have bought a faulty CDI? I am stumped.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You could have a bad magneto coil, they sometimes get wet if you've ridden in the rain because the grommet in the case doesn't seal good sometimes.

Fletch

Aug 8, 2018
I am not finding much information about CDIs on this new motor, so I got to the generator coil inside the motor to follow the wires and find out why there were 3 wires to the CDI, when I was able to get spark with just 2 wires on a China girl CDI.
It appears that there is a power/ground, while the 3rd wire is to a timing sensor. This makes sense now, the 2 wire CDI changes its timing as it gets more power from the magneto, so just giving it power caused it to create a spark. The 3 wire CDI gets a signal from a sensor. I believe this is where my problem lies. I'll replace the generator coil which comes with the sensor and hopefully that gets it running.

Fletch

Aug 8, 2018
I have replaced both the CDI and magneto coil and still no spark...I have tried 2 different spark plugs that I know both work. I'm completely at a loss of ideas.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Try removing the kill switch from the circuit, a kill switch should have two wires to it unplugging one will break the circuit. I assume you have removed the sparkplug and held it on top of the head to check for fire, the electric start will make it easy.