Normans Bike light problems

GoldenMotor.com

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
I purchased norms big light for my brother for his 16th birthday. I spent all morning and a few hours the other day mounting the light, resoldering some connections that broke, and making a nice harness for the new throttle/kill switch and headlight. I got everything connected and wrapped nicely using genuine Volkswagen/Audi connectors and wiring (Gotta love quality german products!). For the test. Started it and tested the kill switch: Check.

Ran it and idled it. Turned light on...stall. Ok, so maybe the idle is too low. I drove it down the block half throttle and turned the light on., It comes on nice and bright, but the engine stalls and only momentum from me rolling keeps the light on. Once I shut it down the engine starts.

I followed your instructions for reducing plug gap to .020". I also ran a thick wire from cdi to spark plug to eliminate any faulty connections in there. Tried a new CDI, reworked all my connections. NOTHING is working. The light kills the engine.

So...I tried it on my bike and it works GREAT!! Why would my brothers bike not handle this light? Any suggestions?

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
It did that to mine at first too but changing my gap fixed it but you can still notice the lowered RPM. Then I switched over my plug to a new one and gapped that and it runs better now.
Try upping your idle a bit then turn on your switch upping it a bit more till your magneto can generate the light and still keep a good idle.
Or switch out your plug to a newer one.

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Replaced and regapped the plugs, nothing. The light doesn't even work if I peg the throttle at a standstill, it just kills the engine dead. I've swapped everything having to do with power or ground and my bike works, his does not. So frustrating!!

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Ok, I went out and got a better spark plug and gapped it to .010...it's nearly touching! I raised the idle and it works perfectly!!!!! He rode about for 10 minutes and his back tire blows out AGAIN today!! The first time we were riding to the beach and a stick punctures it...now a screw in the new tube.

I think we are gonna go for the airless tires this time around.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
What kind of better plug? All I run is either the stock china plug which when they get bad the engine will run great, turn on the light and the engine dies.
the only other plug I use is a champion L78C this plug has a tip that will screw off like the china plug. All my plugs are gapped at 0.020.
make sure your wiring is correct and that you don't have a wire with a bare spot. If you don't like the light return it.

Sounds like your having a bad day along with the friggin light problem. Try to gap your plug at 0.020
I've had one china plug that went bad on me it would work great for a while with the light on then like you were saying lights would be on and the engine dies couldn't get the engine to run for nothing turn off the light and engine was fine. I'd clean the plug it would work again for a while then do the same thing so I went and put in a new plug and tada it works again I tossed the old plug as it had a grounding out spot in it that no amount of cleaning would cure I was using an abrasive blast sparkplug cleaner.

Last edited:

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
NGK plug. Seems to work good for him with a really small gap and a SLIGHTLY bumped idle. Now that I got it figured out the light looks and operates great. Probably gonna order another soon.