Nology HotWires?

GoldenMotor.com

JohnDN

Nov 16, 2008
Ohio
Has anyone tried using a Nology Hotwire on their engine?

It's basically a spark plug wire with a built in capacitor to store electrical energy until the spark. I suppose it's like a CDI built into a spark plug wire. I'd like to use it on a Honda GX35, which has a transistorized magneto ignition. I know the basics of this ignition system, but I'm not familiar with them enough to know whither or not the capacitor would be able to build up any electrical energy from this type of system.

What do you guys think?

Nology HotWires Spark Plug Wires Ignition Wires Manufacturer

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried using a Nology Hotwire on their engine?

It's basically a spark plug wire with a built in capacitor to store electrical energy until the spark. I suppose it's like a CDI built into a spark plug wire. I'd like to use it on a Honda GX35, which has a transistorized magneto ignition. I know the basics of this ignition system, but I'm not familiar with them enough to know whither or not the capacitor would be able to build up any electrical energy from this type of system.

What do you guys think?

Nology HotWires Spark Plug Wires Ignition Wires Manufacturer
try it man & let us know :)
you meed to weigh out weather the cost & benefit make it desirable
I dot think you will get any noticable increase in power but I could be wrong
take care
JAK

JohnDN

Nov 16, 2008
Ohio
I was curious about them because the Chinese engines come with CDIs on them, stronger than the transistorized magneto ignition on the GX35. If your getting adequate spark already and the air/fuel mixture is being ignited then a spark even 100X more powerful won't make a difference. However, I don't feel that the stock spark would be adequate for high rpm, high load conditions. I've looked for universal small engine CDIs but haven't had much lunch, so thats why I was thinking of the Nology HotWires. I also found a knockoff brand of them called InfernoWires or something like that.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
There are plenty of small motor CDI's to use, but there is one problem. Every other CDI you find, uses 3 wires (or more): a power, a ground, and a trigger. Also, they are generally a separate CDI and coil. Ours obviously is all in one and only has 2 wires. With most others, the unit is charged via the magneto, and then triggered by a secondary small pickup coil (that's what that pesky third wire is for). My guess is that ours charges off of the positive AC pulse, and then uses the negative AC pulse as a trigger.

To use a better CDI unit, we would have to somehow fit the magneto flywheel from another small motor to ours (basically making a good alternator for us), and then get the timing right or, maybe the + pulse on the blue wire could be the trigger.

Now because of the difficulty in doing this, maybe these wires or worth a shot. These could have a positive effect for those that around tweaking the motors for more performance. There just needs to be a guinea-pig that's willing to pony up $35 for one and try it :)

JohnDN

Nov 16, 2008
Ohio
Well, I found this.

Magnecor Race Wires

Under "Capacitor" Effect Wires, it talks about Nology and other wires trying similar things over the years. Basically they're saying it doesn't work and it can actually decrease horsepower in some applications. That article seems pretty truthful to me, so I think I'll go with a Magnecor wire. I'd prefer the 10mm R-100 type, but I can't find a single wire anywhere. I've only found sets costing around $100. The 7mm should be just fine though. Really cheap at SBP.

If anyone knows where to get a single Magnecor 10mm R-100 plug wire let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
If they're sold at AutoZone, etc. hang around for someone to buy a set. If they're universal (come with plug and coil wires), very few actually use all the wires. Ask if they're gonna use all the wires, that you'd like to buy the extra. $5 or $10. Tell'em it's for your bicycle motor. They will probably give it to you.

This is especially true if you see anyone replacing plug wires in the parking lot.

Good luck.

Ted

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have a question....Where does it get power to "store up"? The plug is sent the spark from the source and the source doesn't continuously supply power. Know what I sayin'?

I know if you jump your spark across an air gap you can fatten up the spark....maybe that's how these work?

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
You can make your own "ultimate" plug wire with a universal plug boot and coax.

FCC doesn't like 'em, though.:rolleyes:

Ted

JohnDN

Nov 16, 2008
Ohio
Good suggestion. I hadn't even thought of that. I have a spool of Quad-Shield RG6 Coax so I could make one out of that. Quad-Shielded RG11 would be real nice, but RG6 should serve just fine. Now I just need a plug boot and a boot for the coil.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Does the replacement "high Performance" wire hook up to the CDI ? How? Do I need to splice? Does the CDi come apart? am I asking too many questions?
It threads on to the pointy end of a small sheet metal screw in the hole where the stock plug wire currently is....no splicing.

Spark Plug Wire
Remove your old spark plug wire from the CDI box by unscrewing it in a
counterclockwise rotation. Test fit the plug wire and cut it to an appropriate length. Screw
the cut end of the plug wire into the CDI box using a clockwise rotation and apply firm
pressure toward the CDI at the same time. The plug boot will require a standard ball type
end on you plug. The old stock one had this piece removed exposing a threaded tip. This
boot will not work with the stock plug. Be sure to acquire the correct plug.
http://sickbikeparts.com/Manuals/Installation instruction for assorted products.pdf

Last edited: