No spark

GoldenMotor.com

dennylee

Aug 17, 2024
Just installed an engine kit I purchased on Amazon. I have no spark. I have tried a new magneto and 2 different new CDI's, 2 different new spark plugs. The resistance on both magnetos is right around 340 ohms. The magnet is strong. The magneto is grounded to the motor. I connected a voltmeter to both magnetos and they produce voltage. I checked for spark by grounding the plug to the engine. I also held onto the plug and touched the engine and nothing. I have been an auto mechanic for 50 years and also worked on a lot of lawn mowers. I am at a complete loss. Anyone have any insight?

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Just installed an engine kit I purchased on Amazon. I have no spark. I have tried a new magneto and 2 different new CDI's, 2 different new spark plugs. The resistance on both magnetos is right around 340 ohms. The magnet is strong. The magneto is grounded to the motor. I connected a voltmeter to both magnetos and they produce voltage. I checked for spark by grounding the plug to the engine. I also held onto the plug and touched the engine and nothing. I have been an auto mechanic for 50 years and also worked on a lot of lawn mowers. I am at a complete loss. Anyone have any insight?

Maybe they ( the manufacturer ) installed the magneto magnet wrong. At top dead center the woodruff key should be at or near the 1 o'clock position.

Did you check to see if the magneto positive lead was grounding out somewhere,on the inside of the case?