Newb to the forum..newb to motor-bicycles.

GoldenMotor.com

Litlerob

Jun 30, 2017
Hello all, I just had a friend drop off a Motorized bicycle 'cause I'm one of those guys, even though I have never touched one or thought about it-before now. This is a picture of a very similar bike, so I'm assuming mine is a Schwinn too. In much rougher condition. Just a pic I fished off the Internet.

I am a CNC machinist by trade, I am not afraid or intimidated by the prospect of a rebuild, by any stretch of the imagination. Usually I'm building parts for aircraft, weapons systems, medical devices and whatever else they say "make one of these thingies". But before I start, a couple/few questions;

1. What is the cooler way to say "motor-bicycle", don't want to start out with the wrong terminology. :)
2. A guess at the vintage of this bike?
3. I think the motor is a 55cc, but with no badges and without cracking it open.....?
4. Resources for parts and opinions on availability?

5. All in all, is it worth it?

Thanks fellas/gal's, Robert

Reactions: Dave31

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Welcome to the club, Litlerob!

I refer to my ride as a motorized bike.

Motor bicycle, MB, no big deal on names.

Available parts are plentiful and inexpensive. However, many are low-quality, made in China, especially your engine.

With your skills, you can make quality equipment for your bike.
let me list what you, as a machinist, can improve:

a better chain tensioner that won't fall into the spokes;
a CNC rear sprocket mount to better attach to your wheel;
a custom in-frame gas tank for your next cruiser bike;
CNC mounts for your engine;
a scratch-built complete AFFORDABLE v-twin engine for board track racers;

The last item is "The Holy Grail."

All in all worth it?

Heck yes! It's the fun factor and a cheap hobby and form of transportation.

Litlerob

Jun 30, 2017
Thanks 5-7heaven, is the motor a 55cc? Nomenclature?

Seems someone really wants a custom built (affordable) v-twin (c) we'll see how far this rabbit hole leads, okay.

In order to search the interwebs, I need some keywords to use, and have no idea where to start. IE 1982 Schwinn motor bicycle, know what I mean?

R

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
R,

I'm not into the "China Girl" or Happy Time" engines, nicknames for what you have.

I believe they are 49cc engines, as well as 66-80cc ones.

Actually, I have a Tanaka engined/mid-framed bicycle. My project is a two pocket bike engines, mounted middle of a bicycle frame. Both bikes transmit power thru the bicycle's 8-speed cassette.

My 12-mile round trip rides to work.

Key words to do a Google or Craigslist search is "motorized bicycle".

You'll have millions of results.

Last edited:

Vipboykz

Jul 9, 2017
Available parts are plentiful and inexpensive. However, many are low-quality, made in China, especially your engine.