Newb builder Sprocket questions

GoldenMotor.com

Bo305

Dec 6, 2017
Australia
I've recently bought a occ schwinn kit, covered in stickers saying "get a mechanic to assemble" but im a stubborn bastard and want to learn about this stuff so anyway here's my issue: Every sprocket install I've seen online includes the metal backing plates and rubber grommets, now in the pictures attached is what I got in the kit, a metal spacer type thing (unless I'm just an idiot and it's a part for a different place and they forgot to pack grommets and plates). If I'm correct in assuming this is the part for my sprocket, will installing with 6bolts instead of the 9/grommets & plates do any damage? or is it wrong to do?. Also if it's The right part do I install between sprocket and wheel or on the outside? I've just never seen this 6bolt sprocket ring thing before or seen a sprocket secured with 6 bolts I thought it was almost always 8 or 9, wondering if anyone else has seen this before? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
6 bolt mount is for hubs that have a disk brake mount built in - the spacer (and I'd guess some longer bolts) would be for mounting both brake & sprocket (if bike has room for both)

pic of wheel might help

Reactions: Bo305

Bo305

Dec 6, 2017
Australia
Cheers for the quick response, I've just got up so Iv screenshotted a wheel pic from the place I bought it from to start, il get some better close ups of mine and have them up today. The bike does have disc brakes but only in the front, normal brakes in the back

Attachments

Bo305

Dec 6, 2017
Australia
Pics of wheel, sorry for the ignorance I've tried googling/youtubing this 6bolt setup and found nothing that seems relevant, also discovered two different style little rings one with a slit (for the bolts I believe, 6 of each style) just unsure on the placement order, I assume it's the same principal as grommets & plates except with the grommets I've seen there's usually one for the inside and outside. with these six it looks like I either need to put them bolt head>slit ring>spacer>sprocket>disc ring>nut
Or
Bolt head> spacer>sprocket> slit ring>disc ring>nut
If that's wrong order pls let me know
pics below, All help much appreciated, cheers guys.
-first 2 pics WHEEL
-Last 2 pics Different style rings

Attachments

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'm also a bit lost here - I don't see anything on the hub for 6 bolts to attach to

in the assembled bike pic, they seem to be using the spacer to offset the sprocket well away from the tire, which seems right - are there 6 holes in hub to bolt to?

Bo305

Dec 6, 2017
Australia
I'm also a bit lost here - I don't see anything on the hub for 6 bolts to attach to

in the assembled bike pic, they seem to be using the spacer to offset the sprocket well away from the tire, which seems right - are there 6 holes in hub to bolt to?
My bad I should have got a better flick of the hub without the sprocket, yeah there is.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Never saw one of those. But that's awesome if it as it looks like, bolts right up.

The rag joints are big stumbling block for lots of folks. Personally, I enjoy putting em together. But yours looks like a breeze to mount.

Or am I misunderstanding and it's not matched to hub?

Have seen new to this, folks give up when dealing with ragjoints. Really just takes relaxing and taking your time. I like to sit and watch TV while doing em.

Bo305

Dec 6, 2017
Australia
Never saw one of those. But that's awesome if it as it looks like, bolts right up.

The rag joints are big stumbling block for lots of folks. Personally, I enjoy putting em together. But yours looks like a breeze to mount.

Or am I misunderstanding and it's not matched to hub?

Have seen new to this, folks give up when dealing with ragjoints. Really just takes relaxing and taking your time. I like to sit and watch TV while doing em.
Yeah I'm pretty sure everything is matched to fit it all came as a pack with the bike and engine and I think maybe some posts on the frame to mount the engine to but that will be a whole other thread once I get to it.
I thought I was missing things but it looks like it just may be completely different to everything else online just in the way it may be modded to handle all the motorised parts it comes with but I still feel like I may be missing a rag joint (rubber grommet) if I'm understanding correctly what a rag joint is, unless I can go without one because I can put the bolts through the hub?

Still confused on where exactly to place the spring washer and other washer. And which side to place the spacer 6shooter barrel looking thing I don't know the actual name of il refer to for now as the "barrel". I was originally thinking on the outside as shown in earlier pics but now I'm thinking on the inside between the sprocket and hub.

With the placement of washers Is it A)on the outside of the sprocket at the head of the bolts.

B)bolt head, sprocket, barrel, springWasher, washer, bolt through hub, nut.

C) bolt head,sprocket, barrel, bolt through hub, springWasher, washer, nut.

If I'm wrong and anythings out of order in any of the answers please correct me but I'm thinking its B.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The rubber just squashes around spokes as a way to attach the sprocket to the wheel.

Yours is awesome!

Did you buy this kit second hand or from a supplier who could give you more information?

Or, aside from the stickers, any names we could Google?

Bo305

Dec 6, 2017
Australia
The rubber just squashes around spokes as a way to attach the sprocket to the wheel.

Yours is awesome!

Did you buy this kit second hand or from a supplier who could give you more information?

Or, aside from the stickers, any names we could Google?
Yeah first hand from a supplier who I'm still corresponding with aswell, my internets been a bit dodgy and for some reason it's been letting me send messages or posts on here easier than eBay where I'm currently talking to them, so I'm just looking for other opinions from others who are in the know. The place is TDR Moto, they have a site and an eBay store, I found it on eBay by typing In motorised push bike/bicycle or occ motorised chopper or something. It's a schwinn stingray but I'm assuming you meant shop name rather than bike name

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
with those holes in spoke ring, you have an excellent mounting system - your sprocket should go on easily and be dead perfect in alignment

I'd use the lock washer under the nut, and only use the flat washer if the hole under the nut is a bit large.

Bo305

Dec 6, 2017
Australia
with those holes in spoke ring, you have an excellent mounting system - your sprocket should go on easily and be dead perfect in alignment

I'd use the lock washer under the nut, and only use the flat washer if the hole under the nut is a bit large.
I ended up mounting it:bolt, washer, sprocket, spacer, through hub, springWasher, nut. I think it's on properly and straight on the wheel, I tightened the bolts in stages going across, but it doesn't spin true once I reattached it I'm thinking it may be an issue with the spokes maybe and I've got a spoke wrench on the way so hopefully that is what the problem is so I can fix it without too much hassle same with the front wheel, I was hoping the back would spin true once I attached the sprocket(it didn't before either) but it still hits the brake at a certain point of rotation. Anyway here's some pics of the mounted sprocket.

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
good, tires aren't hard - just remember that with a spoke wrench, working slower gets results faster

Reactions: Dan