New way to mount HT bicycle engines!!

GoldenMotor.com

lestat101

Jul 15, 2008
Hello everyone,

I have vowed to never snap a stud again on my motorbiycle.........So I have some experience with this product called Hydra-Zorb. In a position that I have had in past, I used to work with hydraulic tubing and securing them to a metal surface so the tube would stay stable.

So with my fabrication experience, I used this product to give me a "super solid" mount! When I get a carb mod done, I will provide feedback on vibration with this set-up to those who are interested.

Bellow is the website where this product can be purchased, I am able to get it from work still, so I didn't look too hard for cheaper prices from the manufacture if any?

Hydra-Zorb Co.

Also I have pictures of my set-up in case anyone is looking for something different? I feel the rubber/hard plastic should help with vibes!

Flickr: crimson_lestat's Photostream

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Re: New way to mount HT engines!!

Oh wow, I really like those clamps! My engine isn't here yet, and I haven't even bought a bike, but I want those clamps! I've been reading up on installation and maintenance of these bikes and have a little anxiety as to building one; I tinkered with my bike alot as a kid, but I don't consider myself a mechanic. I should go down to harbor freight and pick up some tools.

Lestat: Can you tell us how these things work? How do they mount to the engine?

Last edited:

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO

Hello everyone,

I have vowed to never snap a stud again on my motorbiycle.........So I have some experience with this product called Hydra-Zorb. In a position that I have had in past, I used to work with hydraulic tubing and securing them to a metal surface so the tube would stay stable.

So with my fabrication experience, I used this product to give me a "super solid" mount! When I get a carb mod done, I will provide feedback on vibration with this set-up to those who are interested.

Bellow is the website where this product can be purchased, I am able to get it from work still, so I didn't look too hard for cheaper prices from the manufacture if any?

Hydra-Zorb Co.

Also I have pictures of my set-up in case anyone is looking for something different? I feel the rubber/hard plastic should help with vibes!

Flickr: crimson_lestat's Photostream
You can set me up with a couple... I need better clamps for the Point beach!

lestat101

Jul 15, 2008

Due to popular demand, I uploaded more detailed pic's of the clamps. I would be happy to help someone if I knew what diameter the tubes on your bikes are. However, I am not looking to "borrow" parts from work everyday of the week, "even if I could get away with it"!!!:)

If any of you have looked at the website, some of you may have noticed that there is a minimum 50.00 order, if there is enough interest between a group of you, a group purchase would possibly make the best choice.

Last edited:

lestat101

Jul 15, 2008

Heres a link to buy the clamps seperately. I would think you would also be able to buy them locally from an Air Conditioning or Plumbing supply house. Unfortunately I have not seen the channel sold in less than 10ft lengths....

Hydra-Zorb Cushion Clamps
Hey Misterright1_99,

That link that you posted, does have the channel in 1ft lengths available? Not sure how much the total order would cost with shipping? I am sure that maybe someone else will try this mounting out! Like I said in my first post on this thread, I will follow up with more feedback once I get my carb back on!!!

lestat101

Jul 15, 2008

Excellent, that HAS to work. You guys come up with the neatest stuff!!! Walter F.
Thanks Walter F,

I was thinking of doing something else for this project then the light upstairs went on.......! Why not use tube clamps? I hope someone else here on the forum can find this materail cheap to use on their own project or one down the road.:)

Hitekrdnk

May 23, 2008

Great product. I could see a base for 4 stroke motors with these as the mounts also. Thanks for sharing!

lestat101

Jul 15, 2008

Great product. I could see a base for 4 stroke motors with these as the mounts also. Thanks for sharing!
No problem, your thinking the same thing I am with doing these mounts on a 4 stroke. It's great to help someone see something in a different way! That is what makes this forum great, all of my questions/research has help me out so much!

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca

These clamp are usually used for installing HVAC units and take a lot of vibration. We installed one on a vintage Schwinn and it worked great. The problem came about though that since these things were made to cushion vibration, they do move around. When you are starting your MB, your chain tensions and pulls on the motor. Your motor moves just enough so that the drive sprocket and the wheel sprocket do not line up and your chain jumps off or your cranks hit the motor. When installing, make sure you place something on the tube that you are attaching the clamp to that will generate enough friction to keep the clamp in place.

lestat101

Jul 15, 2008

These clamp are usually used for installing HVAC units and take a lot of vibration. We installed one on a vintage Schwinn and it worked great. The problem came about though that since these things were made to cushion vibration, they do move around. When you are starting your MB, your chain tensions and pulls on the motor. Your motor moves just enough so that the drive sprocket and the wheel sprocket do not line up and your chain jumps off or your cranks hit the motor. When installing, make sure you place something on the tube that you are attaching the clamp to that will generate enough friction to keep the clamp in place.
Thanks for the info, I have a rubber sheet material around the back mount closest to the rear wheel. I had to do this only because the Diameter of the clamp was 1/8 too big..........maybe this will help with movement of the engine and having the chain not derail!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Try W.W. Grainger for Unistrut pipe clamps. All sizes and styles. With and without the vibration absorber. I've used it for years on water, refrigerant and hydraulic lines. Looks the same as Vibra-Sorb, maybe cheaper too.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008

Due to popular demand, I uploaded more detailed pic's of the clamps. I would be happy to help someone if I knew what diameter the tubes on your bikes are. However, I am not looking to "borrow" parts from work everyday of the week, "even if I could get away with it"!!!:)

If any of you have looked at the website, some of you may have noticed that there is a minimum 50.00 order, if there is enough interest between a group of you, a group purchase would possibly make the best choice.
I know this is an ancient post but I just don't see any pics.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Could the photos of an actual installation be posted here as thumbnails? I still can't see in my mind's eye how this works... and pictures would make it very clear. I understand there are pictures on Flicker, which is one more thing requiring me to join. I don't want to join Flicker. Much simpler to just post them here. It would be very helpful. I'm running Schwinn Americans with my own Mickey Mouse front tube arrangements, but I'm looking for a cleaner and simpler arrangement for the next American which is close to being ready for an engine. Thanks,
Silverbear

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Try W.W. Grainger for Unistrut pipe clamps. All sizes and styles. With and without the vibration absorber. I've used it for years on water, refrigerant and hydraulic lines. Looks the same as Vibra-Sorb, maybe cheaper too.
Since I first posted the above I've learned a lot about motorized bicycles; especially the 2 stroke variety. Soft mounts don't work for the most part. The more rigid your motor is mounted the better. The more movement it has the worse the vibration and the more chance you'll have of fastener failure. Get rid of the rubber, or whatever you're using between the motor and frame and mount the motor solidly. You'll be ahead of the game. Vibration eliminators are designed to transmit the vibration from one place to another, not to eliminate the source of the vibration (the motor). Rubber mounting will not reduce vibrations. Very hard polyurethane and some other plastics can be used but the harder (firmer) it is the better.
Tom

Last edited: