New to motorized bikes.

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by TehInteractive, Apr 29, 2010.

1. TehInteractive

TehInteractive New Member

So I have no experience with motors, but I want a motorized bike, mainly for transportation and some fun. I plan on building a bike over the next couple of days, but I'm unsure of what I should get. What would you guys recommend between a Schwinn Del Mar or a Huffy Cranbrook?

Also as far as engines go, I've read a lot of good things about thatsdax, but also whenever I google pictures of motorized bikes, a lot of them use a SkyHawk engine, so if I had to choose between a:

Grubee Skyhawk Angle Fire 80cc

or a

DAX PREMIUM SUPER DUTY F80 KIT 70cc

Which one should I go for?

Also I will probably be using this bike for some mild to moderate off-road trail use. Do you guys think that these types of cruiser bikes would work for that? If not, could you recommend me a bike that would? To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of those beach cruiser bikes, but from what I've read, they're the easiest to install an engine on. Does there exist a like, mountain bike or something of that nature that I can easily mount an engine on, that costs around the same?

I have my credit card ready to buy some stuff, I just need some good input.

Thanks.

2. civlized

civlized New Member

I think either of the two mentioned bikes will do what you want. I'm a 4-stroke guy, myself, so I can't say either way on the engines. I'm sure that either would be fine. My first 3 bikes were all beach cruisers. I ended up with a stretched cruiser and will probably not have anything else. I don't go off-road either. If you prefer a mountain bike, there are some available but the newer mountain bikes with full suspension can be tricky, from what I've seen. You can do a rack mount with this type of bike and have an engine over the rear tire.

3. Nougat

Nougat New Member

I wouldn't use a cruiser frame for offroad, unless you're going to add front suspension forks to it. I'd say get a used Trek if you want to do offroad.

Keep in mind that the two strokes suffer from vibration issues already, and that taking them offroad will only add to that. Consider replacing the hardware on the engine with sturdier stuff.