New motorized project?

GoldenMotor.com
It's been a while since I have posted anything custom so I thought I'd get something going. Here's a copy of a thread I posted on aother forum. It would be cool to motorize this one, hmmmmmm........

It's been a while since I have made a "kustom" bike and I got the urge the other day. Here's the new one I am working on for my brother as a gift. He was once a pretty good AHRMA racer (second in the nation in his class until a gnarly crash in California ended his season) and his dream bike is a '74 Falta red frame CZ.

http://www.theowencollection.com/images ... 4CZ400.gif

Here's a preview of the VERY ROUGH, very early stages of the build. It needs to be tweaked a bit.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
If it comes out anywhere close as good as your board racer did, it's going to be nice. I like how you build the frames to match the funtion. It makes such a better bike all around. Keep the pictures coming of the build and have fun.

Well, I think I have decided to keep it a pedal bike. Here is a copy of an updated thread on a different forum..

As I was saying before, the pictures you saw were very early in the design process. I played around for a while in the shop today and made a few tweaks to the look of the bike. It's slowly coming together more like I wanted. I am still up in the air about the phaux exhaust but I think it needs to be there to complete the theme. I only made some very subtle changes like adding about an inch or so to the fork, re-designing the rear fender skirt, raising the rear of the tank and swapping out the front fender for a little beefier one. Such small changes make such a huge change IMO.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Iride,
Very, very nice.
Do you use a jig to build the frame? My garage floor is pretty flat. I'm wondering if I could use it. Just lay the tubing down and weld away? How do you fishmouth your tubing? I have a kit from Eastwood but I'd need to order some smaller dies for it. I used to build roll cages for drag cars and street roadster frames but I've never tried a bike frame. I really like your work, sir. Keep it up.
Tom

Iride,
Very, very nice.
Do you use a jig to build the frame? My garage floor is pretty flat. I'm wondering if I could use it. Just lay the tubing down and weld away? How do you fishmouth your tubing? I have a kit from Eastwood but I'd need to order some smaller dies for it. I used to build roll cages for drag cars and street roadster frames but I've never tried a bike frame. I really like your work, sir. Keep it up.
Tom
Thanks!

Yes, I have a jig a friend of mine built in his machinist class at the local community college. It's VERY versitile and can be dialed in to build just about any size frame and any geometry you choose. I just looked through all of my pictures and can't find any shot of the jig. Next time I'm out in the shop, I'll try to get a picture of it. The notches come courtesy of a sweet little program that you can download for free.

This one works Tube Coping Calculator with custom pdf page size

This one is the one I use called "Tube cutting profile guide" Tony Foale Designs, free software for motorcycle chassis and frame info.

I used to use one of those cheap Harbor Freight notching attachment on my drill press (ya get whatcha pay for) but it just wasn't even close to being accurate enough for me...I'm kinda anal about things being perfect.

Jason,

They are FLY Racing motorcycle handlebars that I found for around $30.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
* Iride,* That is a sweet looking bike! I figured when I saw the earlier pics. the way you had it laid out it was going to be a nice ride. Hey whats up with no snow on the ground up there? We are buried down here.

John

Attachments

Iride,
Very, very nice.
Tom
While a buddy of mine and I were building a frame yesterday, I got some shots of the jig.

Attachments

Troph

Sep 29, 2008
that is an awesome looking bike, i cant wait to see it finished.

What did those forks come off of and are those 24" wheels?

Last edited: