New here. I picked up an old '72 Desoto Trail Mate 3 wheeler with a '79 12 volt motor over the front wheel . Its a friction drive and it still works.

GoldenMotor.com

Kdcleave

Jul 16, 2022
Tennessee
New here. Picked up a '72 Desoto 3 wheeler by Trail Mate. Came with a 12v mounted over front wheel motor for " power assist". The motor works fine but it's connected to a 12v lawnmower battery and runs out of power quickly. I'm a dummy when it come to figuring out what I need to replace it with to get further on it. To the grocery store & back. About 2.5 miles. Thanks for any help with this.

Attachments

Reactions: Mossy and fasteddy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
This thread has some great information / ideas... Post another thread with your battery goals... It's not my expertise... you just have to get with any number of the electrical gurus...
Welcome to the forum... Post some up close pictures if possible of that really cool odd duck of a trike... Put Trike in the thread description... And good luck

Attachments

Reactions: fasteddy

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Start a thread in the electric forum and we will come and answer your questions. It's easier for us to find and the people scrolling through as well. Fantastic piece of vintage equipment but the motors and batteries have move ahead a great deal today.

Keep posting so it's fresh and in front of people. Here's the link.

12v is pretty light for today's standards. Most of them use 48v and go up from there. Looks like the motor runs a friction roller on the front tire. Today the motor is in the front or rear wheel hub or you run an electric motor called a mid motor that drives the bike bottom bracket sprocket.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Steve is right, but better is a deep cycle batterie used on marine trolling motors. Or even 2 hooked in parallels, I run 2 gulf cart batteries in my motorhome, I can dry camp for a week, but are costly.

The new modern setup is the best like Steve is talking about.