New enginge build, wont start after first start up

GoldenMotor.com

Felix

Mar 26, 2012
Texas, USA.
Just finished building a new bike, problem is after i run it for a little bit around the block and then turn it off (trying to break it in) it wont start again until it completely cools down, like till the next day. I think it might be a bad cdi. any ideas on why its doing that or suggestions on how to check a bad cdi. and yes i have checked to see if the fuel is open. thank you.

oh and when it does turn on it sounds and runs great. just after it warms up and wont start again.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sometimes a new motor wants a bit of choke, but won't start with the choke on - I run with choke on for about 10 or 20 feet, then with heel of shoe carefully push choke off and keep going - that often works

Reactions: Felix

Felix

Mar 26, 2012
Texas, USA.
I took off the plug n checked for spark n there was none. Took off the magneto stator and see that the blue and white wire are soldier on the left side while the black is soldier on the right side and metal arm. In yt trouble shooting videos the blue is on one side and the white on the other(not together)and the black(ground) is on the metal arm. But in one video the it was set up like mine but without the white wire. Wtf? Lol what do I do now. Tomorrow ill remove the magnet nut n make sure it on right at the 1 o'clock position

Felix

Mar 26, 2012
Texas, USA.
Just checked the magneto stator and its at 360 ohms. So its good. Ill check the cdi and hopefully it will be between 6 to 8 ohms. If not its a busted cdi

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if it ran once, the magnet should be OK & in right place

blue and white together is how many of the new stators are wired - the white on those can be used as a spare for the blue if the blue goes bad - wire the blue & black to CDI and tape the white so it doesn't touch anything

Reactions: Felix

Felix

Mar 26, 2012
Texas, USA.
thank you crassius, turns out its the cdi, checked the ohms on it yesterday and its bad. ordered a new one so hopefully it will be up and running soon. should have checked that first before removing the magneto to check the ohms and taking off the nut on the magnet to check it the keyway was at 1 oclock at top dead center but still its ok cause i like to do that just to make sure everything else is the way it should be. Don't know why the cdi gave out so quick, was just in the first gallon of breaking in the motor, mabey the blue kill switch wire made contact with the black magneto wire while i was riding, that will toast the cdi, i don't know but its a simple fix and cant wait to be back riding my green bike again. In the mean time my red bike is working overtime lol.