new electric hybrid

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yeah and I stopped to watch tv lol.... The electric is the easiest to install which is why the gasoline made me crazy. This one is to get a little exercise on the bike trail summer is on the way.

funny you should ask about the rocket powered one. I was thinking seriously that I need to find some other source of power. I'm going to sell off some of my electric motors on ebay I think. I would love to have something else to tinker with.

Maybe a flux capacitor yeah that's the ticket. Just have to find some plutonium

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
UPdate this bike is trying to kill me. It is very very unstable because of the skinny wheels. If it doesn't kill me, I will master it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
UPdate this bike is trying to kill me. It is very very unstable because of the skinny wheels. If it doesn't kill me, I will master it.

Yeah, with the batteries and motor making the center of gravity up that high, I bet it's a handfull.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm going back to using the trailer batteries tomorrow. I changed out the chainring tonight for a smaller one. Get a lower low gear that way I think. It seems to start off much easier now anyway even if it's all in my head. I moved the motor a little higher so it doesn't bump me when I pedal. tomorrow is another day.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think this is a jinx build. The darn thing is British and imported for sears no doubt. Nothing is the right size. I finally got the motor so I'm not kicking it every turn. I put a smaller chain ring on so the low gear is better but it rides like a brick.

On I'm just upset because it isn't working out like i hoped. Man stay away from these light weight frames and skinny wheels they are terribly unstable. I have no idea how those roar racers do it. Every crack in the pavement and I'm off in the wrong direction.

Add to that the whell nut is so large it takes up all the available space for a trailer setup. It's a jinx i tell you.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
You got a still stashed some where? You gettin all unstable and everything I was wondering? rotfl Be nice the British will get their feeling hurt. Try mounting the battery's down low like saddle bags that might help you out and the skinny tires will let you feel every pissant on the road but rolling resistance should be better/less. I like your set up I need to get one of those motors I've been thinking about one of the electric hubs but the price is high and would make my wallet very thin.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yeah I think about the hub right up to the 400 bucks then I stop. This engine is the biggest one i have 350 watts. Cost me like 27 bucks plus about ten bucks shipping. Switch is a house light switch. works on the pulse jet theory. I turn it on and get up some speed then switch it off. If I need more speed i leave it on and pedal. Get a little exercise with this one.

You are right about the skinny tires. Hit a crack and its my back that brakes. I'm going to start tomorrow on building my transylvania chopper electric addition. I got some poor boy ideas for it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: poboy electric 4wheeler

The poboy chopper becomes the po boy hybrid 4wheeler.

the attachment isn't level in this shot but it will be tomorrow. It started to rain on me so I couldn't finish squaring it today. I have a better basket as well. When I get it complete I'll make another shot.

This is the trailer I had talked about building. I know i also need to paint that one wheel lol

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If i were going to rebuild this and I just might. I would have used an angled elbow on the outside front corner to make it more aerodynamic looking. I would also make it easier to push off.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Something new there. I bought an end cap for the 3/4" pvc drilled a hole dead center bolted the end cap onto the axle, then I just glued it up. Now I find I didn't get the joints straight but I have a trick for that. cut the twisted pipe and slip a 3/4 wooden dowel inside and put a couple of wood screws to hold it in place. When it stops raining I'g gonna do that.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
As usual I did it now I need six joints to do it right lol. Tomorrow I'll take my gas bike up and get them while the wife is at church. But it does seem to do the trick I tried it again even out of square it pulls nice. I can also put it on the gasoline bike when I'm done to carry even more things. That little bike is going to be a mule when I'm finished.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Why that's no kit... It's a scooter motor, with a home made friction wheel, and two lawn tractor batteries go into the home made trailer. Top speed on the flat is about 15 miles per hour. Uphill I have to pedal so it is for exercise not running errands. I have a pretty good set of hills in the neighborhood so I can ride about three miles and get a pretty good workout. I couldn't make up those hills without the assist. I don't work up much of a sweat but I do get a little exercise with it.

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
Deacon
How does come apart if you have a flat tire? Also how do "unhitch" it? Could you show a closeup if it attached to the axle? Thanks.