Need advise on wide peddle crank

GoldenMotor.com
I removed the GT80 I bought from assbike because it vibrated super bad. I have installed a 79cc predator with the chain drive transmission. The problem I'm having is the right peddle hits the bottom of the engine shroud and the left peddle is to close to the primary chain and clutch. Micargi says the crank on this bike is a one piece crank. My questions are: Do I need any special tools to do this project?, and who is a good vendor to purchase a wide peddle crank kit from. Ive almost got this baby ready to go. I need to find and install an exhaust that won't burn my leg, hook up the throttle linkage to the engine and install a wide peddle crank set. I like that long header muffler set that AGK sells but right now their out of stock.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
All the wide pedal cranks I've bought have been poor quality looking but fairly heavy duty. Bad chrome, pre rusted pedal axel etc. No special tools needed to get it swapped out. Plenty of you tube vids if you need help. There are tools to make it easier like crank nut wrenches, but nothing you can't do with a straight blade screwdriver and a hammer. You may need a pair of euro adapters if you have a larger crank hole though. Good luck

Bruce Lee

Dec 13, 2010
California
I removed the GT80 I bought from assbike because it vibrated super bad. I have installed a 79cc predator with the chain drive transmission. The problem I'm having is the right peddle hits the bottom of the engine shroud and the left peddle is to close to the primary chain and clutch. Micargi says the crank on this bike is a one piece crank. My questions are: Do I need any special tools to do this project?, and who is a good vendor to purchase a wide peddle crank kit from. Ive almost got this baby ready to go. I need to find and install an exhaust that won't burn my leg, hook up the throttle linkage to the engine and install a wide peddle crank set. I like that long header muffler set that AGK sells but right now their out of stock.
Go to Sportsman flyer. His wide cranks are very well made.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if fit is close, one can grind off a bit of crank arm or put a bit of bend in it

Thanks for the advise. I got it apart with no damage to me or the bike. I ordered a wide pedal kit from Amazon. Couldn't afford that expensive one from S/F. Didn't try to bend it as I don't have a torch or a big enough vise to do the job. I don't think I could have bent it enough because it is very close to the spinning jack shaft components and I want to put a shield or cover on that.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Use thread lock on the wide crank set so it doesn't back off and loosen up on you
Oh yea I can attest to that. I was a few miles from home and my pedal arm fell off the other day...oops. Vibration attack and loosens every bolt with a the vengeance of a torque wrench on steroids/ blue thread locker is your friend.

Ps: Many people may not know this but thread locker liquid drops are left on your paint it will dissolve clear coat first and then your paint...within hours. Ask me how I know. Who would of thought, the light blue liquid looks so harmless.:-||

zip

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
Oh yea I can attest to that. I was a few miles from home and my pedal arm fell off the other day...oops. Vibration attack and loosens every bolt with a the vengeance of a torque wrench on steroids/ blue thread locker is your friend.

Ps: Many people may not know this but thread locker liquid drops are left on your paint it will dissolve clear coat first and then your paint...within hours. Ask me how I know. Who would of thought, the light blue liquid looks so harmless.:-||

zip
I bought my stuff from Bicycle-Engines.com. I needed the 1 piece to 3 piece conversion kit and the wide crank kit. I put the 1 to 3 piece in with thread lock but didn't use it on the ends that snug up the bearings and keep it tight and it kept backing off. This was for a guy I work with. Kept telling him to back them off and clean it and use the blue lock on it but ended up doing it myself. But lesson learned for my bike ☺

Didn't know it was a paint stripper. That's good to keep in mind thank you!

Thanks again for the advise. Went to autozone and bought 2 tubes of blue loctite. Now I'm waiting on Lights, mirrors,center stand and wide peddles kit to arrive. In the mean time I'm searching for a suitable strip of aluminum to make the throttle linkage bracket. I'm going to leave the governor hooked up so as not to damage the engine.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Thanks again for the advise. Went to autozone and bought 2 tubes of blue loctite. Now I'm waiting on Lights, mirrors,center stand and wide peddles kit to arrive. In the mean time I'm searching for a suitable strip of aluminum to make the throttle linkage bracket. I'm going to leave the governor hooked up so as not to damage the engine.
If you want some help with throttle linkage, read steps 47-51 of my instructable to see how I did it. http://www.instructables.com/id/79cc-Motorized-Bicycle-From-Scratch/

Also wanted to mention that the governor in the predator engines is there more to prevent damage to your yard machinery than to your engine. Imagine a rototiller running at 6500 rpm. I have built several predator bikes and regularly take them up to almost 7000 rpm with no issues.

I'd love to see pics of your build btw.