My woodruff key will NOT stay in place... please help

Discussion in 'Hubs, Gearboxes, Sprockets and Chains' started by RoonHP, Jul 19, 2017.

1. RoonHP

RoonHP New Member

Hows it going guys im brand new to the forum and having bike issues i just built a bike and not even putting 25 miles on it the woodruff key is falling out, i ran home and put it back in and lock tightened it on with the red loc tight, little did i know this was **** to deal with when the woodruff key came off AFTER the gear was bolted on, now im sorry for the long post but im not sure what to do, i have little mechanical experiance so im going to explain this a way i would understand it
    1. woodruff key installed
    2. gear installed
    3. ride down the street and woodruff key pops off
    4. i open the case to find the bolt is still on tightly i might add and the key is laying in the bottom of the case.
    i really dont know what to do.

tldr: woodruff key wont stay in place, even when bolt and gear are assembled and not loose.

sorry if i posted this question in the wrong thread im new to forums and new to motorized bikes and im scared! haha thanks guys.

-roon

2. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

There is a big washer that keeps it in.

3. RoonHP

RoonHP New Member

happen to know what the washer is called? or what size you need to get for the lower gear?

4. xseler

xseler Well-Known Member

This is a schematic from bicycle-engines.com. I'm assuming that 5a is the key you mentioned.......so, maybe 4 is the washer you need......

upload_2017-7-20_0-56-22.png

If this is not the right part, go to their website and look at the 'clutch parts' tab.

Best of luck in your adventures!!

5. RoonHP

RoonHP New Member

My engine kit doesnt contain part number 6 how do i figure out what its called

6. RoonHP

RoonHP New Member

Oh my god its a rubber bearing seal.

7. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

Yes, it's called a washer, no special name, just run up to the hardware store with the bolt and buy one that will fit the bolt and hold the key in.