My soon to be motorized bike (stock photo from website)

GoldenMotor.com

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
Here's a pic of my Wal Mart special i'm going to use for my MB. It has the oversize lower tube, but it was the ONLY non-rear suspension mountain bike they had and i didnt want a cruiser, so this is what i got. Please discuss any comments/concerns. I'm going to the bike shop today to get a couple tools and tune it up a lil bit. Wal mart's assemblers obviously arent bike techs ;) and the brakes and rims are all kinds of messed up (out of adjustment)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Looks like a good choice I am interested in how it works out for you. I have always built cruisers because with a motor on I never pedal. The gears were a waste. Let me know what you think once you get the build done.

Your big problem which doesn't seem so big these days is the over sized front tube. Go slow and ask if you have any questions.

and of course welcome to the forum

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
I think i'll probably get a single speed crank/rear wheel for it. I didnt get it for the speeds, i got it for the price and the front suspension. :) I rode it around as a "normal" bike earlier and discovered the rear axle is broken. Is a cruiser rear wheel as easy as i think it would be? i could get rid of a couple cables while i'm at it too... :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
A cruiser wheel should be easy.. You might need 6buck BMX TYPE chain as well. Save your brake handle you can use it as a clutch handle on your build. the kit clutch handle is trash in my opinion. Save your gear lever as it makes a dandy replacement for your twist throttle if you decide to change it. If the front brake is on the left side, I would move it to the right side. Then use the left brake handle for the clutch lever.

You can use all that stuff. If youi want a new wheel call the bike stores you can probably use your tire from the mtb

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
I no longer have that Roadmaster bike. went and traded it for a Mongoose "commuter" bike. Seven speed 28 inch wheels, lol. It's a better quality bike as i didnt even feel safe riding the other one w/o the motor, lol. I also purchased this one UN assembled, so i knew that it hadnt been returned, assembled it myself in about 10 minutes :D... havent ridden it yet, but its seems a lot more solid than the other one... here's a pic from the website...

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
Ok, anyone that is considering the above Mongoose Paver for a motorized bike, should reconsider. The motor doesnt fit, there's not enough room in the frame for it. Needless to say i dont have the mongoose anymore. I went ahead and traded it on an orange Moon Dog... and now it's running! after much cursing at the chain that is, lol. Will get actual pix of the bike when i get home (i'm at work now) I've put 3 miles on it and am already in love. the moon dog almost seems like it was built for a motor. :)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Dang, that's a bummer. I was just looking at that Mongoose last night and thought it would be a nice bike to ride :(

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
It's a great bike to ride, and i'm sure you could make it work, but i just couldnt get it to...

The problem i had w/ the chain can be summed up in one word "Tensioner"

I finally followed some advice i saw on here, it was Deacon i think... Just threw the tensioner in the trash and am adjusting the chain w/ the wheel. There's a derailleur on the regular chain, so it tensions itself, lol.... right now i'm in the process of replacing the mount hardware. already lost a nut off the rear mount :eek:

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
I just mounted an engine on the roadmaster like the first pic and it was a bear, my dad has the second bike and the frame is the same size (made by the same company). The engine will fit but it took a lot of extra work. I would not suggest this bike to anyone. To take the spark plug out I have to loosen the engine mounts and lean the engine sideways a bit. It is only 12 1/2" from top to bottom, when I bought it I didn't know you needed at least 14" for a good mount. it is so close on the top the spark plug wire almost won't fit over the plug. I had to add a carb tube extension with a 45 deg bend so it would go beside the seat post. And yeah the bike is junk, I am going to swap the engine sometime down the road. Probably after the front tire falls off this bike, that will probably only be a couple weeks. I was thinking before there should be a section for people to post what bikes work and don't work, there may already be a stick like this but I haven't seen it. here are a couple pic.

Attachments

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
I think i did good w/ the moon dog. It was pretty simple once i got past the chain issue. Didnt have to modify anything on the engine. I did put Nylok nuts on the mount studs though, double nutted on the back. The only thing that didnt fit right was the fuel tank. I've got it on w/ a multitude of zip ties now, will get some of that metal strap to bolt it on correctly. Here are some pix of the bike as it sits as of 5 min ago.

Jun 25, 2008
My personal four stroke dabble...

Here's a shot of a personal project on a old MTB i started coupla weeks back... MAN are 4 strokes a pain! i've been too busy building customers (2 stroke) bikes to really give mine any love, but she needs her rear wheel re-built around a custom hub i machined (threaded each side to allow sprocket to freewheel...) which has actually been a pain, the width of the engine need the extra-wide cranks (not hard just a pain), plus (as you can see from the 'snug' fit) the mounting plate is too compressed to allow the forward bolts through, so am having to weld the bad boy.

That said, i love the 4 stroke itself, sounds a right beast and cant wait to get her on the road...just wish it was as straight forward as the 2 strokes.

Mike

Attachments

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
i'm in the process of pulling the wheels off right now. Realized i've got 3 bent spokes on the rear wheel. Probably from the above mentioned chain issues. Going to have a bike shop true the front wheel for me, and getting a new wheel for the rear. I ordered a 32T sprocket from Kings Sales and Service (Andyinchville1) and cant wait for it all to come together. With the increased speed i'll be seeing, i thought it'd be a good idea to get some nice true wheels and i'm going to lube all the bearings as well. Will let you all know how it rides when it's done, and i'll have to take some more pix to show it off too. :)

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
Just bought This Off of eBay. I know it's big, but i'll make it work one way or another. I have an exhaust shop near me that loves a challenge, and they do quality work for very little money. :) I'll have them make me a slip on flange and rework the bends and what not. Cant wait till this puppy is done. :D

HT60CC

Jul 23, 2008
Slough, England
It looks like your cylinder head is on the wrong way round. You really need to sort that out before you run it. Use a 10mm socket to remove the head bolts. take the head off, apply gasket sealant (use conservatively) and torque the head bolts back down in a cross fashion to about 12ft-lbs. Norman has a post in the classic reapir section showing how this is done.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yeah look's like it's on sideways. As long as you have no leaks should not hurt anything other then a little less cooling with the fins.

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
lol, never noticed that before... I just took a quick look and looks like i got it back on correctly when i replaced the piston rings last week. also put some better nuts/washers on the head at the same time. Thanks for letting me know though :)