My name is Rock Scarbrough, I live in Brownfield Tx, I'm 63 and Retired.

GoldenMotor.com

Rockman

Sep 30, 2018
I want to build a Motor Bike and have a few questions about it. 1. bike frame size 26" vs 27.5? 2. Mag wheel vs spoke wheel? 3. Fat tire vs normal size tire. 3. Will the fat tire bike require a 90cc 4 stroke motor to be offset to match rear chain alignment? I really like the Schwinn 27.5" Men's Kokomo Cruiser Bike steel frame. It has mag wheels, it's a litter bigger than the 26" and I think I would need the extra room 26" seemed a bit small. I weigh 215 lb. You think a 4 stroke 90 cc motor fit Kokomo Cruiser bike frame? So many choices to choice, any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Rock n Rocky the Rockman

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Welcome to the Forum.

1. steel frames are best but not 100% necessary. The more room you have in the frame for the engine the less challenging it will be.
2. The fattest tires you can fit on your rims the better it will be. Fatter tires allow you to lean into turns better and give you more traction on the road.
3. I don't know the answer to this question, I don't know about 4 stroke engines. I will just say that mag wheels are great but it's best to get ones that are disc brake ready so you can put the drive sprocket on the mounts for the disc brake to drive the rear wheel. If the mag wheel doesn't have disc brake mounts than you probably can't use it on the back unless you can find some kind of adapter to attach the drive sprocket or if you are running a jack shaft so you can use gears.

Reactions: Rockman

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I really like the Schwinn 27.5" Men's Kokomo Cruiser Bike steel frame. It has mag wheels, it's a litter bigger than the 26" and I think I would need the extra room 26" seemed a bit small. I weigh 215 lb. You think a 4 stroke 90 cc motor fit Kokomo Cruiser bike frame?
There is no way a 4 stroke 90 cc motor is going to fit in that very small frame.
A 66cc/80 2 stroke will be a tight fit in that bike.

Rockman

Sep 30, 2018
Welcome to the Forum.

1. steel frames are best but not 100% necessary. The more room you have in the frame for the engine the less challenging it will be.
2. The fattest tires you can fit on your rims the better it will be. Fatter tires allow you to lean into turns better and give you more traction on the road.
3. I don't know the answer to this question, I don't know about 4 stroke engines. I will just say that mag wheels are great but it's best to get ones that are disc brake ready so you can put the drive sprocket on the mounts for the disc brake to drive the rear wheel. If the mag wheel doesn't have disc brake mounts than you probably can't use it on the back unless you can find some kind of adapter to attach the drive sprocket or if you are running a jack shaft so you can use gears.
Thanks for the welcome. What your saying makes good sense. I'll add your advice to my "Pay Attention " folder. I'm a bit old to be doing this I know, at least that's what everyone is telling me. I rode Moto X in the 70s - 80s, Dual Sport riding 90s - 2009. Looking forward to riding again one way or the other. Just trying to get as much knowledge from those that know aspossible. Thanks for the advice Tyler6357, Later

Reactions: Tyler6357

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks for the welcome. What your saying makes good sense. I'll add your advice to my "Pay Attention " folder. I'm a bit old to be doing this I know, at least that's what everyone is telling me. I rode Moto X in the 70s - 80s, Dual Sport riding 90s - 2009. Looking forward to riding again one way or the other. Just trying to get as much knowledge from those that know aspossible. Thanks for the advice Tyler6357, Later
Don't worry, lots of old timers are into motorized bicycles. I'm 55, not that far behind you!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A tire wider than 2 in wide will likely require custom motor mounts to offset mount the engine to the motor chain side. If you cannot make offset motor mounts, limit tire size to 2 inches wide (unless you have added a jack shaft kit [shift kit])..

Rockman

Sep 30, 2018
A tire wider than 2 in wide will likely require custom motor mounts to offset mount the engine to the motor chain side. If you cannot make offset motor mounts, limit tire size to 2 inches wide (unless you have added a jack shaft kit [shift kit])..
Thanks for the tip. Some of the cruiser tires look a bit thin. I was wondering how wide a tire I could use before having to make any major changes. so it would be 26" x 2.125'' instead of 26 x 1.125

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Thanks for the tip. Some of the cruiser tires look a bit thin. I was wondering how wide a tire I could use before having to make any major changes. so it would be 26" x 2.125'' instead of 26 x 1.125
Howdy & welcome to the clubhouse!!

I've got a Huffy Cranbrook that originally had 26X2.35 tires on it. I had to use the 'thin' 410 chain, and it still was closer to the tire than I liked. Over time, I upgraded tires to a 26X1.75 Continental City Ride II tire (yeah, I know it's skinnier, but they are far superior tires) ---- one of my better upgrades! The bike feels much better when I decide to kick it up over 40mph. Also, make sure you've got good front brakes!!

Rockman

Sep 30, 2018
Howdy & welcome to the clubhouse!!

I've got a Huffy Cranbrook that originally had 26X2.35 tires on it. I had to use the 'thin' 410 chain, and it still was closer to the tire than I liked. Over time, I upgraded tires to a 26X1.75 Continental City Ride II tire (yeah, I know it's skinnier, but they are far superior tires) ---- one of my better upgrades! The bike feels much better when I decide to kick it up over 40mph. Also, make sure you've got good front brakes!!
Thanks for the welcome Xseler. I'm Blown Away by the knowledge that members of Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum have. Watching a YouTube video about Motorized Bikes got the two wheel fever back again. So far you guys have told me, Steel frame, good wields, disk brakes, 4 stroke last longer with less maintenance and no fuel mixtures, upgrade to heavy duty motor mount bracket and chain tensioner, wider 3 piece crank for clearance, possible improved on air intake so a better 2 stroke carb with reed valve could be used, possible telescoping front forks-disk brake ready, steel handle bars and stem, invest in a good seat, that widest tires are not always the best tires, the need for enough room for a monster 80cc or 90cc motor or which ever type 4 stroke I finally choose on. Best bike to hold up longer is still a confusing one for me, so many choices. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep listening to all those in the Forum. Later
Rocky's 70s Berm Run..jpg

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Watch the Lubbock Craigslist for used bicycles. If you can find an old bike it will be a better deal than today's thin metal bikes. If you have a welder or have access to one, even a ladies bike will work. A little scrap pipe and it has the mens bar on it.

Next time we head to Ruidoso, if our schedule permits I will let you know and maybe we can meet up. We usually stop at the T&C on the Tahoka highway across from United or the Valero station on 385 and Main. You will find out you don't need to worry about age to have a second childhood.

Rockman

Sep 30, 2018
That's about a block from where I live. Just one street off Tahoka road, about a hundred yards west of united. I'm excited to get started to get to ride again. I'll just keep soaking up all the advice I can get and keep shopping. The 4 strokers seem to be BBR, Flying Horse, Huashengtaishan, Ghost Racer, Predator, etc. I'm only 5'8" but weigh 220. That's why I figured I would need a 80cc or 90cc motor. Start looking again tomorrow. (patience). Later

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I have the 2 stroke china motor, more than enough, but I am not in a hurry and have no desire to try to kill myself going fast. I also have the 79cc Predator set up, just need to finish putting it together. The 2 stroke you do not need to mess with oil changes like on the 4 strokes, the trade off, you have to mix gas and oil. 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome to the forum! I just turned 77 still at it, i prefer 4 stroke. A lot less temperamental, just gas and oil and go. Lot of bikes around when i was a kid had the small washing machine motors on, with friction drive 5/8 hp. So much fun to jump on and go, used old car generators with case cut out, armature against the wheel. Did about 20 mph. i also had a 1 1/2 hp Briggs in frame bike, with chain and belt drive ( primary ). Jack shaft Whizzer fashion. V - Plex clutch is, like centrifugal, it did about 25 mph
As far as bikes go get a older one before China started building them, better steel..........Curt

Rockman

Sep 30, 2018
Welcome to the forum! I just turned 77 still at it, i prefer 4 stroke. A lot less temperamental, just gas and oil and go. Lot of bikes around when i was a kid had the small washing machine motors on, with friction drive 5/8 hp. So much fun to jump on and go, used old car generators with case cut out, armature against the wheel. Did about 20 mph. i also had a 1 1/2 hp Briggs in frame bike, with chain and belt drive ( primary ). Jack shaft Whizzer fashion. V - Plex clutch is, like centrifugal, it did about 25 mph
As far as bikes go get a older one before China started building them, better steel..........Curt
Bravo Curt. Age is just a number. Though my number has a few spiderwebs on it, I still keep kickin it. I have a 90 model 650 DR. I rode that for 20 years a timing chain broke. Then health issues came around and no one wants me back on 2 wheels. Thus the Motorized Bike comes to play. If Family see's I can ride one with my balance issues and not kill my self I can then put my Dual Sport back on the road. I have about 50 family members watching how I do. Pressure. I know God said, "I Got This" so go get you a Bike a start buzzing this little town. That's where I am today. 4 heart attacks and 3 major stomach surgeries for blood clots and I still have the Fire. Orale, Later. PS, what's the 4G / 7G mean? I know I'm lame but just learning this stuff. Thanks

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
My ticker is good, its the rest that need fixes. Have new knee, dozen eye surgery's, need new shoulder. I ride a pedal bike every day when mot bad weather to stay limber. Do you need a kit or do you weld and such?...........Curt

Rockman

Sep 30, 2018
My ticker is good, its the rest that need fixes. Have new knee, dozen eye surgery's, need new shoulder. I ride a pedal bike every day when mot bad weather to stay limber. Do you need a kit or do you weld and such?...........Curt
I thought I would get a bike this month and the kit next month. Brakes and forks after that.

Update: Well, I changed my mind and bought a Hyper 26" Beach Cruiser and am quite pleased, I hear all the stories about bent fenders, missing parts, etc. The box came opened but everything was there. No dents, mixed parts or warped wheels. I have a 79cc 90 Monster coming next week and hope to have it running that same week also. Later,
Rockman the Rockster

Last edited:

Rockman

Sep 30, 2018
I thought I would get a bike this month and the kit next month. Brakes and forks after that.
Update: Well, I got my Hyper 26" Beach Cruiser and am quite pleased, I hear all the stories about bent fenders, missing parts, etc. The box came opened but everything was there. I have a 79cc 90 Monster coming next week and hope to have it running that week also.

Rockman

Sep 30, 2018
Do any of you have any suggestions on types of mufflers for a 79cc Monster 90 Motor. Some kind of straight pipe with muffler that's tucked away? I have a Hyper beach Cruiser that it will go on.

Last edited: