My first build and new here

GoldenMotor.com

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
hello fellow motor pedal heads, just completed my first build last week and having a blast riding around. Best wishes good luck and always be safe.

Attachments

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Welcome to the fun house. Nice looking bike you have there. I would offer one piece of advice which is to make some kind of brace to attach the muffler to the frame. Without it the muffler vibrates like a pendulum and will eventually break the weld and it also puts a lot of stress on the exhaust port flange and bolts. Don't ask how I know.

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
Thanks for the info. I will attempt to attach the brace that came with the kit, that is if it reaches right? Had to bend exhaust to clear those pedals.

Had to do some modifications to make the engine mount work. 4 great mods... bought the mount extension from gasbike, cnc sprocket adapter and vibration mounts from bikeberry and the chain tensioner on ebay. ++ Must haves and made this such a more positive first build experience.

So far so good, I put a tray under the muffler at every park and careful where I park on public property. DOn't want bad press about being the dirty oil spotter. It seems to drip a few drops after every ride which I have heard is normal especially in the break-in fuel ratio. Went about 7 oz oil per gallon. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Brand of oil? Thinking already about buying a boost bottle and manifold, brand or make by self? bbr? Any recommend for carburetor upgrade? This stock one seems just fine, thus what would the advantage be apart from intake and appearance?

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
You can safely go with 32:1 for your fuel/oil mix to break in. This has been covered hundreds of times if you need to search for confirmation.

You will probably have to fabricate a muffler brace since the stock one is flimsy and will break easily. Still, if you can fit it on it's better than nothing until you make a nice solid one of your own.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Boost bottles are usually considered to be like snake oil. Some people report that it helps to run smoother but, by a large margin, most think they are useless.

If your carb is working well for you then just leave it alone. It's better to break in your engine first before making modifications. Then you can read up on the differing opinions and draw your own conclusions as to what you'd like to try out.

Any name brand quality oil will do. When you consider the cost of the item it's worth buying the good stuff.

Beware of "high performance parts" that boast of huge improvements. They are almost always just boasts.

And keep an eye on your chain tension as the chain will stretch during break in period.

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
I took the can of lawnboy 2 cycle oil I had in the garage to start with.... hope that is ok... I will search on here for muffler brace ideas unless you have a quick fix for a steady. Good to know about the boost bottle stuff. Engine runs smooth already, has enough pickup for what I am comfortable riding for speed. It's a cruiser, don't need to go 30 on the road. 10-15 seems like an enjoyable ride in the fresh air and scenery.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
I took the can of lawnboy 2 cycle oil I had in the garage to start with.... hope that is ok... I will search on here for muffler brace ideas unless you have a quick fix for a steady. Good to know about the boost bottle stuff. Engine runs smooth already, has enough pickup for what I am comfortable riding for speed. It's a cruiser, don't need to go 30 on the road. 10-15 seems like an enjoyable ride in the fresh air and scenery.
I'm sure lawnboy oil is fine, but I would switch to full synthetic after break in (apprx 300 miles) for longevity and clean internals.

It sounds like you are off to a great start. For a muffler brace you can just copy the stock one but use heavier guage steel of a length and bend to suit your bike.

Have fun.