My Columbia "37"

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Holly sheep dip, Batman!

Very cool. Thanks Roo. Perfect for what I was thinking. Dumb thing but I gotta remember wally world is not always the place to go for budget builds.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thought and looked into this way back, Roo. Think you and I talked about it, too. But for those faux gas tanks, a bladder fuel cell/tank. Like WW2 fighter aircraft. It collapses as fuel leaves it. (no vent or very little) Sorta like the hippy goatskin wine jugs. Know wut I mean?

I have experimented with all kinds of plastics and especially laundry detergent jugs. Lots of materials hold gass without problem. Ya can buy sheets of the bladder material as well.

Just exploring how to use those tanks as tanks. That would be cool. Perhaps Kreem-ing them as is and adding a fill and vent! (Liking that!)

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I am sure there are several options one could come up with to make the fake tank functional. My plan for mine is to have another stainless fuel tank fabricated by my stainless steel fabricator buddy and then use the bike tank halves as veneers over the stainless tank. My buddy has made me stainless fuel tanks for two of my other bikes and the always work great.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That works! Cool think.

Gonna try that with alumiweld. That stuff is scary easy. Always makes me think it'll never hold but ya can't break em on the welds. BA did a great thread on it and wanted to mess with for a couple of yes, now. I bought some at HF. Works awesome. And after ya grind and clean it up, looks real nice.

Purty kewl thoughts all around, thanks!

AWAL27

Jul 4, 2017
Shreveport, LA
Hello. Im new to this site. i actually just created my profile tonight. This is my 37 columbia that i ordered offline. Here in Louisiana you dont see frames like this and thats what i love about this frame. I saw a thread on springer forks and i was wondering if anyone knew how they handle going around turns

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy AWAL. Welcome!

Springer forks don't handle any different in my opinion. I highly recommend them. Really makes for a much more comfortable ride. Well worth the upgrade.

Real suspension and not the pretend, decorative ones. That and a layback seatpost are what I use for my personal builds.

Ride safe and great to meet ya!

AWAL27

Jul 4, 2017
Shreveport, LA
Howdy AWAL. Welcome!

Springer forks don't handle any different in my opinion. I highly recommend them. Really makes for a much more comfortable ride. Well worth the upgrade.

Real suspension and not the pretend, decorative ones. That and a layback seatpost are what I use for my personal builds.

Ride safe and great to meet ya!

much appreciated dan and thanks for tje welcome glad to be a part of this forum

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Springers come in many forms and in my opinion you cant go wrong by adding some suspension. The spring itself does not really effect handling that much. Handling is more effected by how much rake(chopper) a fork has. Raked forks come in spring and non springed forms and do effect handling. Not nessasarily in a good or bad way...just a different way that some may like or dislike. However if you get a straight fork that has some spring action then it going to be a good thing over what you have. Welcome to forum.

AWAL27

Jul 4, 2017
Shreveport, LA
Thanks for the info ckangaroo70. Ive been debating on a springer fork for a few months now. reason being is ive heard they tend to bounce on the turns a little bit but more than likely it will be my next imvestment. now the next question is what recomendations are out there. the only springers i know of are the monarch II's and a few cheaper ones off ebay.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
An option as well. Goodwill and thrift stores often have old bikes. Won't find any thing ornate like a Springer but often MTB with regular suspension forks. If the bike is missing a peddle or has a waffles wheel, ya can get it for next to nothing.

Also dumps will have piles of old bikes. Scrap prices are way down. Can get real lucky There!
And nothing like having a spare part on hand when ya need one. Also, ya can mix & match parts and make bike to sell. Great practice as the most important part of a MB is the B. A bike tune up is easy to learn. Any thing you need to know is here or is a YouTube video.

Last edited:

AWAL27

Jul 4, 2017
Shreveport, LA
now my next question is this... does anyone know what brand of springer forks will fit the 37 columbia headset without any issues. Im looking for a direct bolt on without any problems

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I did a '37, tight fit, I had to use an offset Z intake but she turned out well.

Oh, I also made the fake gas tank a real gas tank, it held ~gallon.

I don't recommend it, making it a real gas tank cost me $300.

AWAL27

Jul 4, 2017
Shreveport, LA
Im still researching myself. Ive read a few different threads on other forums and it seems like theres
I did a '37, tight fit, I had to use an offset Z intake but she turned out well.

Oh, I also made the fake gas tank a real gas tank, it held ~gallon.

I don't recommend it, making it a real gas tank cost me $300.

AWAL27

Jul 4, 2017
Shreveport, LA
Im still researching myself. Ive read a few different threads on other forums and it seems like theres

i followed your thread on that tank build kc. infact it was the first thread i read on this site lol. i want to do that with my tank halves but i kno its gonna be somewhat of a challenge. my plan is to use sheet metal of the same thickness or close to the thickness on the tanks and when i get my hands on a mig welder to weld it by tack welding the new metal to the insides with very low heat then lining with caswell like you did. i was wondering what you used for the threads for the petcock to thread into