My 2006 NE Yellow Whizzer

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Rick!
These guys have lots of Indian motorcycles. Wish I did :)
They make new parts and and do the machine work. Here's a Indian parts store.
https://www.starklite.com/indian-motorcycles/motorcycles-for-sale/
I saw your tribute bikes and their awesome!
I'm still looking for my Crocker motorcycle
38 or 41 will be ok.
A Fella's gotta have a vision right?

If you ever get into Whizzer, look me up. I got parts and stuff.

Ray
Ray thanks for the link to Indian bikes and parts. I'd lost the link when I upgraded laptops. I'd share way too much about growing up with these classic Indians before they really were, but they were quite common around here and one machine shop was quite well known in the collector community of the '70's & '80's for one off reproduction parts and as a source for original parts and complete restored cycles...Indian primarily & HD to a lesser extent.
You are quite fortunate to have these bikes close at hand.

I also favor the Crocker sprint singles as I tend towards minimalist design of flat track racers, regardless of the surface they raced on, but I'd treasure a twin for sure. The Crocker singles remind me so much of the J.A.P. powered Brit and Australian cinder track machines that were so dominant.The short production period resulted in few if any Crocker's in this area and I can't recall ever seeing one on the road; though a few flat track Crocker's found our tracks and competed well as I recall.

I have a beautifully restored, locally owned, Whizzer in my sights but he wants to work a trade around my Simplex & that's not happening, though I am offering a good cash sum that could be raised a bit. I'm old but still got dreams!

Bags really work on your Whizzer & though I trust a quality drive off stand on all my builds (any style stand can let a bike down) the long prop looks proper on the Whizzer and the bike displays a reasonable angle of lean that I admire, but as I noticed you used a drive off during the rebuild stage you obviously know how useful they often are.

Rick C.

Last edited:
Reactions: mason_man

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Thank you Rick!
I like the saddlebags. I'm still working on my options with the stand.
I have the Simplex front suspension, complete with front and rear wheels saved for a future project. I like the wide rims and Style of the front forks.

If this Whizzer doesn't pan out for you. I can help you out finding parts or a complete bike. We have a Whizzer store here. Don't let anyone know yet :)
20190309_123245.jpg
20190309_123303.jpg
20190309_123029.jpg
20190309_122735.jpg
20190309_122640.jpg
20190309_122629.jpg
20190309_122616.jpg
20190309_122603.jpg
20190309_122549.jpg

One of 3 stores. Dale (msrfan)has one .
This one is Ron Houk's

Enjoy!

Ray

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Dang I got to get my Whizz-on! You're weren't kidding around about the Whizzer stores Ray. I like different in my builds & your use of Simplex wheels & fork is one I'd encourage you to follow up on. I used the Simplex fork & rockers & added "girders" to the leading legs to build the front of my HD "peashooter" board track tribute bike. With or without the girders the fork works well and looks super vintage. As both a HD fan and a Simplex enthusiast I'd felt that Simplex borrowed the early HD fork design and scaled it down so it just looks at home on the HD bike adding to the pre 'twenties look I was hoping for. My Simplex tribute (the stretched dimension frame I built using d.o.m. heavy tube) however received a custom leaf fork based on the early Indian bikes and I used the beautiful cast rockers from a Simplex on this bike as well.

As to the Simplex wheels I agree & a Whizzer motor would be so cool turning a belt driven Simplex wheel . Having the front and rear tins insures an easy & secure fit of the fenders. Really adding width & height on the rear triangle is perhaps the major factor involved in such a modification. I can visualize a Schwinn frame modified out back featuring these Simplex parts and driven by the Whizzer engine. How unique would that be? Get the tools out son lets build a "Black Shadow" S.S. (Schwinn/Simplex) Whizzer!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ray all those parts gave my brain a kick start, somewhat painful and potentially expensive, yet maybe worthwhile. I've been somewhat myopic in selecting candidate engines for my builds & not once did I consider a Whizzer 4 stroke for any of my bikes. While I've had nothing but great experiences with the China girl engines; I do spend a lot of both time and $$ preparing each to reach that point of performance & dependability that I can live with. That stated I'd think the Whizzer engine would be a practical & cost effective alternative to the kit engine build up & build out. I've only one CG bike that has both the speed and dependability to keep the pace with by buddies on Whizzers during extended rides of 30 to 40 miles, but if they really pushed it I'd not be able to keep up...though top speed isn't that different, the Whizzer motors seem not to push as hard & are more relaxed on cam; they seem to cruise there whereas I'm turning serious rpm's and the 2 stroke is quite busy at the same point. I'm not hating here, as stated I really like my China girl (much modified) but I can't ignore the reality of my experiences riding along side Whizzer Schwinn's ( both stock) they rock!

I'll make a couple more statements: 4 stroke sounds really great at all speeds & Whizzer motor looks fantastic in frame. The crankcase is so narrow when viewed head on & the side exhaust outlet allows mounting closer to the down tube. I've absolutely no objection to belt drives though I haven't used them for any of my builds.

Also Ray I failed to comment on the fish tail pipe...beautiful finish to the graceful long exhaust! ?

Can the Whizzer engine be mounted with the jug vertical and still lubricate, with the necessary mods made to engine mounting, carb angle etc.?

Rick C.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
20180415_113700.jpg
20190224_135325.jpg
20150112_230406.jpg
Ray all those parts gave my brain a kick start, somewhat painful and potentially expensive, yet maybe worthwhile. I've been somewhat myopic in selecting candidate engines for my builds & not once did I consider a Whizzer 4 stroke for any of my bikes. While I've had nothing but great experiences with the China girl engines; I do spend a lot of both time and $$ preparing each to reach that point of performance & dependability that I can live with. That stated I'd think the Whizzer engine would be a practical & cost effective alternative to the kit engine build up & build out. I've only one CG bike that has both the speed and dependability to keep the pace with by buddies on Whizzers during extended rides of 30 to 40 miles, but if they really pushed it I'd not be able to keep up...though top speed isn't that different, the Whizzer motors seem not to push as hard & are more relaxed on cam; they seem to cruise there whereas I'm turning serious rpm's and the 2 stroke is quite busy at the same point. I'm not hating here, as stated I really like my China girl (much modified) but I can't ignore the reality of my experiences riding along side Whizzer Schwinn's ( both stock) they rock!

I'll make a couple more statements: 4 stroke sounds really great at all speeds & Whizzer motor looks fantastic in frame. The crankcase is so narrow when viewed head on & the side exhaust outlet allows mounting closer to the down tube. I've absolutely no objection to belt drives though I haven't used them for any of my builds.

Also Ray I failed to comment on the fish tail pipe...beautiful finish to the graceful long exhaust! ?

Can the Whizzer engine be mounted with the jug vertical and still lubricate, with the necessary mods made to engine mounting, carb angle etc.?

Rick C.
Rick your HD tribute rider is beautiful!!
Those Simplex forks fit perfect, I like it.
I think you'll like playing with a Whizzer motor. There pretty simple and easy to work on, Vintage or New Generation motors. The vintage Whizzer will run with just adding gas, powers up itself. The new generation motor has electrical components outside the motor,cdi, ac relay, and coil.
Lots of different ways to upgrade the motor, valves,cam,head, flywheel,and carbs on both motors.

Ray

Oh,wait...and then there's these ones!
20190321_141417.jpg

20190321_141425.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ray the simplicity is a huge part of the appeal, though looks, performance and nostalgia also enter into it for me. Flat head L and F's are what I grew up wrenching on as a pre teen and teen, graduating to V-8 Ford's and Merc's before attempting overhead valve small blocks. Every small 4 cycle engine was a flathead if not mounted in a real motorcycle. Lot of memories...

One of the old mechanics that I hung around as a child just turned 105 years of age and his mind is sharp. I visit him every Sunday in the local nursing home & he regals me with stories of the really old guys, his twin brother who was also a great mechanic passed a few years back, but their last major car restoration was a model A Coupe that his niece now cares for & it's as close to perfection as they get and a real treasure. They were both in their 80's when they started the restoration.

Your photos are real eye candy for me so thanks!

Rick C.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
20190323_120949.jpg
20190323_113956.jpg
Ray the simplicity is a huge part of the appeal, though looks, performance and nostalgia also enter into it for me. Flat head L and F's are what I grew up wrenching on as a pre teen and teen, graduating to V-8 Ford's and Merc's before attempting overhead valve small blocks. Every small 4 cycle engine was a flathead if not mounted in a real motorcycle. Lot of memories...

One of the old mechanics that I hung around as a child just turned 105 years of age and his mind is sharp. I visit him every Sunday in the local nursing home & he regals me with stories of the really old guys, his twin brother who was also a great mechanic passed a few years back, but their last major car restoration was a model A Coupe that his niece now cares for & it's as close to perfection as they get and a real treasure. They were both in their 80's when they started the restoration.

Your photos are real eye candy for me so thanks!

Rick C.
Hi Rick, I know what you mean about being able to spend time with the older ones (guys)
I've been blessed in that way as well. Nothing impossible for them, cars, bikes, machine shops,
constructions. Two thumbs up to you!
I spent some of my day at the Indian machine shop,having some parts modified. Making indain/whizzer stuff☺ 2 more Indians of this, 28 Scout and I think 32 or 34 some history here but not enough time for that.
20190323_120949.jpg
20190323_113956.jpg

Now that the bike is done, it's time for the 40 Ford car show. Every June they do a car show. We get invited to bring our Whizzers, Schwinn S-10, WZ507, Roadmaster, Ambassador,are some that are in the pictures.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ray that's some car show ambiance! I've gone through your photos several times this morning picking out detail & will for sure continue more of the same this p.m. Though it's a show built around '40's it's not exclusionary and the open invitation to show your beautiful bikes along with an assortment of classic cars & trucks as well, adds depth and significance to the overall display. As to the Whizzers: they should beg you guys to show up & your flamed, yellow fellow really pops among the really outstanding examples displayed.

I noticed a red, road tractor, Peterbilt, that looks as though it's been pickup bed modified...can't see the back half so I'm guessing here. If I'm correct it could have been, or not, one I modified in the '80's to pull my 34 foot center console offshore fifth wheel rig. My design looked like a Chevy short step side bed circa 1955 or so, with working tail gate. My ex wife, bless her, has all my old photos, or has burned them, so photo evidence is lacking. I don't think any vehicle I've ever owned drew a crowd quicker or larger.

Thanks again for posting photos and you're very close on the age of the last Indian shown. They did a marvelous job on the rebuild. She shows the character of dusty miles ridden and past owners pride in a prized possession...some history should not be painted or plated over.

Rick C.

Last edited:

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Ray that's some car show ambiance! I've gone through your photos several times this morning picking out detail & will for sure continue more of the same this p.m. Though it's a show built around '40's it's not exclusionary and the open invitation to show your beautiful bikes along with an assortment of classic cars & trucks as well, adds depth and significance to the overall display. As to the Whizzers: they should beg you guys to show up & your flamed, yellow fellow really pops among the really outstanding examples displayed.

I noticed a red, road tractor, Peterbilt, that looks as though it's been pickup bed modified...can't see the back half so I'm guessing here. If I'm correct it could have been, or not, one I modified in the '80's to pull my 34 foot center console offshore fifth wheel rig. My design looked like a Chevy short step side bed circa 1955 or so, with working tail gate. My ex wife, bless her, has all my old photos, or has burned them, so photo evidence is lacking. I don't think any vehicle I've ever owned drew a crowd quicker or larger.

Thanks again for posting photos and you're very close on the age of the last Indian shown. They did a marvelous job on the rebuild. She shows the character of dusty miles ridden and past owners pride in a prized possession...some history should not be painted or plated over.

Rick C.
Thank you!
The Peterbilt was a piece of work for sure!! Sorry I didn't take better pictures.if he comes back next June, I'll be sure to get more info and pics. Made me laugh what you said about your ex wife,and we do have to bless them.

This June I'll bring out the 1962 Schwinn twinn straight bars,or a 1999 cw-1 tribute to the 1948 Whizzer...will see☺
20180804_131116.jpg
20180804_131058.jpg
20190321_162214.jpg

Before I forget, a 4 speed transmission for the Indain,overdrive, are on the way. The cases are almost done.

Thank you,
Ray

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Your photos are great Ray, the "Pete" was, after all, just background for a really nice shot of the show.

I like the auto shows that are by design eclectic and therefore thought provoking; though "specific" events also serve well to concentrate and reveal the best of types etc. Exposure to variety helps to illuminate. We often tend to develop tunnel vision mentality in our passions & this can hinder ones design perspective, even when our primary focus is on building or collecting a single marque we can expand our creative horizons by looking up and out at what others have done in the past while also examining the many current designs that are constantly being revealed.

I think after 7 decades the 'old guy" is starting to get over himself and really enjoy the work of others without all those judgmental quantifications getting in the way.

When you have photos of the 4 speed box & the Indian I'm sure we would all appreciate seeing them.

Rick C.