Muffler Outlet- Might want to check it...

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I took the end cap off of one of these- (photo no. 1) and stuffed it full of steel mesh after removing the baffle.

The packing was a bit much, so I took the muffler apart to remove some of the mesh, and looked down the outlet. It was restricted, here's what I found after grinding off the outlet "tip"- (photo no. 2). Due to overzealous welding, the outlet hole was smaller than the thru-bolt hole!

I dremeled it out and added an extension....no photo, it wasn't painted yet.:rolleyes:

Might want to check yours when you get a chance.

Attachments

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
When I first got my kit I went through all the parts and took a look at the intake. It was plugged, completely with mold flash.

It took some doing but I wsa able to poke it out with a screw driver and then grind the little bits away with my dremel, but what a surprise that was. I could imagine that a good many intakes are plugged or restricted as well.

I found the same as you- at the attachment point to the engine- the muffler was welded quite well but the weld itself really restricted the muffler.

further proof you need to carefully inspect each and every part carefully before assembly and make sure it's correct and ready to go.

If I had just slapped my kit together and not looked at that intake I'd me posting questions today about why won't it run. No one would ever think to tell me to look at the manifold and see if it was plugged up.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Here's what I did to remedy the situation.

I removed all the choreboy mesh and made this "extension".
I used 1/2" aluminum tubing and JB Weld.
I got fancy and bent it over a large BBQ grille wheel.

The pipe is long, but the outlet area is at least double that of "stock".

It's pouring rain and supposed to snow so stay tuned.

Attachments

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I like what you did with that muffler.....thanks for the tip!

One question I'd like to ask concerning your chain in that pic is, does that chain slap itself when your going down the road? It looks like it would. Could take a hunk out of it.........just curious.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That chain is in a temporary condition....I only test rode it, then slid the tensioner forward while I was doing the exhaust mod....and uh, yeah I took 3 links out, I DO need to remove more.....:Dand turn the sprocket around so the dish is out. (first one I had to do that way)

Can't wait to fire it up and find out I have to cut off half of it to get any top end....:ride: