Motorized Bicycle Underage

GoldenMotor.com

Andrew2403

Sep 3, 2018
Hey guys I’m new to the motorized bicycle scene and recently bought one with my own money. I’m 14 and when I got it my mom was pissed. I live in Massachusetts and the law says you have to be 16 to drive it. The person I bought the bike off said you didn’t need a license and that if I stayed off state highways cops wouldn’t bother me. I just want to know what happens if I drive it and a cop pulls me over and sees I’m underage. Is it a ticket, a fine, or will they tell me to just turn it off. I really wish the law was different because I thought this was going to be a good outlet.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The general rule that applies everywhere, is that you will get pulled over if you are riding like a hoodlum.
If you are following traffic laws, riding on roads that are appropriate for a motorized bike and keeping the speed at 20mph or less, the police will likely leave you alone. That has been my experience with law men.

Reactions: Dan

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
A lot will depend on the decision of the LEO and your reaction to being stopped. Legally they can probably haul you to jail and impound your bike, then call your parents or legal guardian and have them bail you out. Most likely they will just issue a citation or a warning ticket for various infractions of the state motor vehicle code, and tell you to walk your bike home.

If you are "hot rodding", riding recklessly, disobeying stop signs, and not riding with due care, the reason will be obvious to the LEO that you have no business on the public streets and he could probably nail you to the wall as an example for others.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
One thing you should know is that it is not against the law for you to ride a motorized bicycle at age 14. It is just against the law for you to ride it on a public road. You can ride it on a private track or on private property. I just thought I would tell you that.

If you do decide to ride it under age you should make sure that you have a DOT approved helmet and that you obey all the traffic laws. If you do ever get stopped by a cop you should know that many cops don't really know the laws about motorized bicycles. Also, never refer to your bike as a "motor vehicle" when talking to the cops, use the term "peddle assist bicycle". I recommend that you wear sunglasses and if you see a cop, DON'T PANIC, just sit up as tall as you can and don't look at him, look the other way so he can't see your young face, just pretend like you don't see him or that you are messing with your bike or something. Also, another thing to think about is that it's not against the law for you to ride it if the engine isn't running, I mean, as long as you are just peddling. The cop would actually have to see you with the engine running, riding it on a public road in order to bust you. Just something to keep in your mind. Remember, it's not a motorcycle, it's still a bicycle.

Reactions: Dan

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
another thought would be to wear a full face helmet so they can't see how young you are

this close to halloween, you might even find a fake, gray beard to have sticking out the bottom of the helmet : )

Reactions: wheelbender6

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
"New another thought would be to wear a full face helmet so they can't see how young you are"

That is an awesome idea, if you do not live in a hot climate.