Motored fatty

Discussion in 'Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes' started by bikebum1975, Mar 29, 2016.

1. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 New Member

2. Agreen

Agreen Member

I've seen it done 2 ways. You could use a jackshaft or fabricate some offset engine mounts. Either way, the width of the tire makes it hard to get the chain aligned right.

But it's only a 3" tire, so you may not have any issues.

3. ZipTie

ZipTie Member

yea 3 inch would for should clear especially with a hub adapter - CNC sprocket from maniac mechanic... you can just slide it far left to clear the extra .75 inch... but maybe it wont... we wont know till someone is brave enough to gamble it all to find out. Good looking inexpensive bike though. Let us know if you pull the trigger on the build.

4. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 New Member

Will for sure ziptie. I'm about 90% certain I'm getting the bike. Honestly I was expecting aluminum.

5. ZipTie

ZipTie Member

If you can get 1/16 inch clear of that rear tire you will be golden. A 41 chain will also be more forgiving of any slight chain angle. May the bike gods bless your journey into unknown territory on your build. Later

6. LandSpeedRecord

It's been done by the other local builder. Customer was having a lot of grief and called me several times to drop it off so I could make it work. He never brought it in so either he got it working or have up. From the pics he sent it was just stock parts pushed all the way over. I have done a 3" rear tire with no jackshaft but I off set the motor about 6mm with different mount holes. Let us know if you try it and feel free to pm me if you get stuck.

7. Cylon

Cylon Member

Good question for KC

8. BarryT

BarryT New Member

I too am looking at one of the Walmart "fat tire" but am looking at the 4" wide tire. I'm very worried that there may not be enough clearance for a strong, 2 stroke the way the top tube tapers. Looking to do a jack-shaft as well to take advantage of the 7 speed..(It's a Mongoose) 21" top bar, 24" bottom bar, and 11.5 rear bar.
    Any body have experience with this one?

9. ultralight01

ultralight01 New Member

What about this one?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongo...Fat-Tire-Mountain-Bike-Navy-Blue-Red/29741123
    Or was that the bike you were thinking of?
    Anyway, a good number of people have motorized this bike and it holds up pretty well for a mongoose, plus, it comes with disc brakes!

This is a picture of one motorized that I think is exactly what you want, except without the 48cc, you want a 66cc don't you ;)
    4c993dfc4367dcfd595c158cf10d7d2c.jpg
    I'm actually considering making an electric one since the weather here gets so crazy, with ice, mud, rain... This would tackle it all

10. Cylon

Cylon Member

Why electric? Are you making it 2wd?

11. TheNecromancer13

When the weather gets crazy around here, you will be miserable enough riding in pouring rain when it's 35 degrees outside that you'll wish you'd stayed home from whatever you were riding to.

12. ultralight01

ultralight01 New Member

Waterproof Windbreaker. Two sweaters. Waterproof pants. Motorcycle helmet, gloves...
    I know how to suit up, man. I do it all the time

13. TheNecromancer13

so do I, but it's still pretty miserable.

14. ultralight01

ultralight01 New Member

Agreed. Haha

15. biknut

biknut Active Member

My advise as an experienced china girl builder, forget gas, the time to go electric is now.

[​IMG]

16. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

YUCK! Glad I'm in AZ. Just get a dry suit mask / snorkel and have done with it. laff

17. Kioshk

Kioshk Active Member

I'm with Biknut...I finally grabbed my balls and dove in. It was a pretty big investment, but it's really paying off in many unexpected ways. I'm getting plenty of needed exercise, I can access areas heretofore inaccessible (both legally and physically), and it's much more reliable and fun to ride. I still love my gasbike though...but she's not my main squeeze anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. biknut

biknut Active Member

19. Potato_In_Exhaust

Electric? ELECTRIC?!!! Off with their heads!!!!!

20. Kioshk

Kioshk Active Member

You'll have to catch us first! I can hit 40MPH on a REALLY good day!