motorbikers electric Dyno-Glide cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
The electric kit is on the way ! I am going to mount the batteries in the middle as low as possible and make a nice looking cover. Plenty of room there.

I'm not selling this one ! This one is mine that I have been saving.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I know batteries almost always look like batteries no matter what you do to them. One thing I would like on mine would be a way to just pull the battery pack and lift it off the bike for charging. That way the charger can be anywhere not just near a spot the bike can be stored.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I guess the DeWalt batteries would be good for that. They are a hot item on eBay. Pricey ! They would be real easy to take out and recharge !

I want a dozen of them ! :D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since i don't work I would use mine for exercise but if I worked i would have two sets of batteries and two chargers one for the office and one for home.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How many milliamp hours are those?

Remember- number of cells = power, size of cells (mah)= "fuel capacity".

I don't know how far those will get you.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
the best I can figure the way to determine range is .... battery ah divided by amp draw of the engine = time (engine will run) mph x time= range. more or less.

motor size is usually in watts ie 250 watt motor engine watt = amp x volts ie 250 watts is 24 volts 10 amp draw...

a 250 watt 24 volt motor will draw ten amps of power from a battery... A ten amp hour batter will last 1 hr. If your bike goes 20mph.. your range is approx 20 miles...

except a lot of things enter into it like how much you run at full throttle. bike will get less mph with more weight so lots and lots of variables.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't know but I like the idea that they are small. I wonder what the voltage is on the 2.2 ah battery. three of them would get you only as much as 6 1/2 ah at whatever the voltage is of one. That makes it the size of a sla battery. If they can get the weight down of the batteries, the amps up and the cost down then building ebikes will be worthwhile.

I prefer ebikes except for the wow factor. In theory they are a better build project. The pure kit (hub wheel) is a bit pricey for me. There isn't much reason for that kit to cost more than 200 bucks in my opinion. Electric motors require less maintenance than these gasoline beasts. They are quieter, smell better, and you don't smell of gasoline all the time.

The problem is the battery technology.it might come along now that there is a greater push for alternate energy sources.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Battery technology has increase 10 fold in the last few years. Model airplanes with electrics could barely wobble into the air a few years ago, now they can out perform the I/C engine planes.

Brushless motors are the only way to go especially when hooked up to a good digital speed controller. (brushed motors benifit from a good digital controller too)

Sometimes when you run like you are with just a switch, it uses up a lot of power fast. A controller allows you to feed the power in and use what you need, not just draw all the amps you can for short busts.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Probably why my battery consumption is so great... I run full amps all the time. I tested my electric bike today and decided that electric is not for me unless I get really good feedback on the new hub motors and they come down in price.

I hate that they are so expensive since I would prefer electric for its simplicity anytime.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Got the electric hub kit Friday ! Nice kit. Pictures will come.

The fork that is on the Dyno will not work so now I am looking for a different fork. The one on it is not the original. I bought the bike for $10 with a broken front fork and replaced it with one off another.

Time to search eBay.

motorbiker (c)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I looked at that battery my god that thing is expensive. I have built my clown bike to use electric to ride down the bike trail for exercise. I built a little trailer using lawnmower tires, I have two 20buck@ lawn tractor batteries at the moment. They seem to be just about right to make the four mile ride. I remembered that I can buy used automotive batteries which are much more powerful. Ie last longer. I expect you could get a pretty good deal from an auto salvage yard on them. I'll have to look into that.

I was surprised how well the bike pedals pulling the trailer even when not powered. I tried using bike wheels but the center of gravity is far too high for that much weight.

I have been using a 350watt friction drive I built but I burned up a bearing last week so not I'm using a 250 watt motor and the difference is noticeable but since i ride this one for exercise it doesn't seem as though it is going to be a huge problem.

I also ordered a controller and throttle for it. I thought I would like to have my back up bike be electric. I figure if the china girl goes down I can use this one to get to the donut shoppe.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I hear you you ! The batteries that came with my kit are heavy !

Your batteries are on a little trailer ? I am going to try that.

I still have not found a fork. I went looking for a bike with the thick front fork that the kit would fit on and I bought one of these. $59

26" Men's Lakota Bicycle - Huffy - Toys "R" Us

It is a Goldenmotor kit. HBS-36

hub motor, brushless motor, bike conversion kit, power wheelchair,wheelchair controller,electric wheelchair, golf trike,Lithium Iron Battery ,golf trolley,µç¶¯ÂÖÒγµ,¸ß¶ûµÇ¿Æ¼¼ÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾

I got a great deal from thatsdax ! bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor

Thanks Duane !

Still looking for a fork for the Dyno. I have been riding the heck out of the electric Huffy.

Pictures of your trailer ? Thanks (c)

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It would be easier just to describe how I built it.

Body is a 2x2 frame with a bit of 3/8 plywood for the deck. You can make it any size. The lawnmower wheels have 1/2 inch holes. I bought some 1/2" bots with the unthreaded part to use as the axle.

put on a large washer then the wheel, then another large washer, the ran it through a 1/2" hole I bored into the 2x2 frame another washer then two 1/2 inch nuts to lack the bolt (axle) but not tightened down completely... Then I put a electical 1/2 pipe clamp over the nuts to keep them and the axle from turning. The wheel runs free on the bolt (axle) I did put a lot of grease on when I assembled it.

I found that the bike tires were too unstable since it was a lot of weight too high up. The smaller wheels are much much more stable. I don't even notice they are with me. Get yourself a good thick L bracket and saw off some of the part you hook to the bike so it won't be so long. I also have to enlarge the hole to fit over the axle.

Have you gotten to ride the hub bike yet.

I just put a controller and throttle on my diy electric and It rained last night so I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I did run it around before it started to rain and the throttle works fine. I was hoping to squeeze a little more range from it but I don't know. One thing is the darn hill around my house. On the flats it sings, I can just feel the power drain as I run it up the hills though.

I like the idea of the battery drain meter with your kit.

The tongue is a large shelf L bracket bolted to a 1/2" or so bit of tubine. Used a triangle brace on the L bracket.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Hi deacon,

I like your bike ! ! ! It is like no other I have seen ! ! ! Cool ! ! !

We speed tested the goldenmotor kit on the Lakoda Huffy.

Matt was driving. He is about 155 lbs.

All the roads around me are a little up hill or a little down hill. Not much though.

It will go 20 mph on a slight uphill and about 22 on a slight downhill.

I don't know how far it will go on a charge. I have not run it down yet.

motorbiker