Motor on expensive road bike?

Discussion in 'Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes' started by thepetester, Jan 31, 2018.

1. thepetester

thepetester New Member

I am checking if anyone has done this with good results from what I understand most expensive road bike are light because they aren't built like a MTN to withstand lots of weight and such.

I really want a road bike to train with but I'd like to put a motor on it and ride up the west coast.

I'll probably get a touring bike but I thought that I would check on this first.

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

The wheels are the main problem when motorizing a light road bike. They are more prone to broken spokes.
    I would buy an inexpensive mountain bike or beach cruiser for motorizing. Save the road bike for training.

Otero likes this.
  3. Otero

Otero Member

[QUOTE They are more prone to broken spokes.
    I would buy an inexpensive mountain bike or beach cruiser for motorizing. Save the road bike for training.[/QUOTE]
    I agree, I've 2 nice road bikes, & also a Juiced Bike's electric CCS and a custom mtn.
    gas bike with a Tanaka/G.E.B.E. belt drive. Either one will smoke any road bike made.
    Unless you can find 11g spokes for your roady, don't even think about a gas bike.
    You could put on an electric kit I suppose, but a purpose built ebike is a better idea.
    Anything with more than a 500 watt motor really should have suspension. 033.JPG 002.JPG

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      132 KB
      Views:
    #3 Otero, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  4. Miscellonymous

Miscellonymous New Member

I'm currently in the works in putting an engine on a cannondale quick 8. I had to customize the front mounting bracket, the spoke on the wheels are 32s but I ordered a rear 36 and sprocket adapter on eBay. I had to use metal straps for the fuel tank.

Still a work in progress but it's getting there.
    20180615_000526.jpg 20180615_000620.jpg