Moped CDI & Ignition Coil on M/B?

GoldenMotor.com

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
Hello. I am here to ask the question of: Is it possible to you use a moped CDI and ignition coil on Motorized Bike? I thought if it was possible to get this to work it would be the equivalent of a BBR Stage 1 CDI and Ignition Coil for half the price. I never found anything on the forums discussing this, and probably for good reason, maybe the idea I am pitching is utter nonsense, idk. I don't see anything wrong that would prohibit this from working other than:
A). It mentions 'AC Ignition Power' but the magneto might produce DC power
B). this CDI & Ignition coil Kit is meant for 4-strokes, pacifically; or
C). Moped are just to technologically advanced for motorized bikes to benefit from

Here is the CDI and Ignition Coil kit in question

A CDI and Ignition Coil wiring diagram

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
About 10 years ago several of the members here including me worked on improving the ignition on our bikes, the link below is a thread on making a cdi. The problem is there's no advance and no pickup to trigger, mine ran good at high rpm but lacked on low end.

Reactions: Chad_Broski

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Hello. I am here to ask the question of: Is it possible to you use a moped CDI and ignition coil on Motorized Bike? I thought if it was possible to get this to work it would be the equivalent of a BBR Stage 1 CDI and Ignition Coil for half the price. I never found anything on the forums discussing this, and probably for good reason, maybe the idea I am pitching is utter nonsense, idk. I don't see anything wrong that would prohibit this from working other than:
A). It mentions 'AC Ignition Power' but the magneto might produce DC power
B). this CDI & Ignition coil Kit is meant for 4-strokes, pacifically; or
C). Moped are just to technologically advanced for motorized bikes to benefit from

Here is the CDI and Ignition Coil kit in question

A CDI and Ignition Coil wiring diagram
4t CDI don't work on a 2t engine

Basically that's a 4t GY6 50cc - 150cc electrical system
New Generation Whizzer Motorbike 138cc 4t has that type of electrical system

Chad_Broski

Feb 2, 2022
somewhere
Reactions: wrench

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Oh, okay. I think that kinda job might be above my skill level, lol. It might be best for me to stick to the professionals and let them do all the work fore me. Now I am planning on getting the CatNip High Performance Racing CDI Coil which I think is just a replica of the Super Charge CDI for 48cc 66cc 80cc sold by Gasbike. May I have your thoughts?
The only 2t motor bicycle engine I know of that uses a stator is the Bullet Train
Yeah, the professionals already did it for you

Sure the catnip is a good choice, but 2t are not in my wheel house
Whizzers are my specialty

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Chad I've learned that it's best to do one upgrade at a time to see if it works, a lot of people add several at once and then when one of more don't work they have to start guessing which upgrade to change. Everything you add to a two stroke can change the tune, if you learn how to read the sparkplug color you can get a good running engine.