Monster 80 strange behavior after oil change. Please help.

GoldenMotor.com

Gerold McNomancy

Apr 10, 2020
Bought a monster 80 kit a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I was very careful when setting it up and getting everything working right. It ran beautifully for about 2 weeks. I probably put 30 miles on it. Then I felt like it would be a good time to change the oil.

At the same time as the oil change I...
- took off both chains and cleaned and lubed them.
- replaced the head cover with the CNC short head cover from Gasbike.
- took off the clutch and cleaned it, and lubed the bushing.

I drained old oil, then I replaced with new. I don't think I over filled it, if I did, it couldn't have been by much. Oil level comes to the top of the dipstick hatch design.

I put everything back together. I feel like I was being very careful. At least I thought I was.

Immediately and ever since this oil change, the engine leaks oil out of the governor on top of the engine and pools there. If I run it for more than a mile or so, the engine smokes with blue smoke.

I wondered if I had overfilled the oil, so I poured some of it back out. Now the oil comes to about half way on the dipstick. Still does the same thing: leaks out of the governor and blows blue smoke.

What in the world did I do wrong?

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Is there a blow by on the new valve cover for crankcase pressure? That and the Piston rings probably haven't seated in the cylinder yet.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Very much so, should fit it with elbow with hose, to run to air cleaner filter base. Only other thing would be a catch can.................Curt

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The short valve cover doesn’t have a breather assembly. Even if you put a vent hole in it, it’ll just keep spitting. Not running a valve cover breather is a sure way to destroy a motor. You’ll want to change your oil again as the new stuff is probably contaminated.

And you don’t need to clean and lube chains and clutch after 30 miles. Maybe 2000 miles... or the same time you change your rear tire.

Gerold McNomancy

Apr 10, 2020
Putting back the old cover made a world of difference.

It really makes me wonder why they even sell the short cover. I feel like I did ok by the chains. They were pretty gritty.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Kool, you could copy the old and maybe vent the new like it. Also check valve tapit clearance if you do..........Curt