minibike to motorbike

GoldenMotor.com

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Has anyone cannabalized a minibike to make a motorbike? Dick's Sporting Goods has a minibike on sale for $249. It has some sort of 5hp, 4 stroke engine. I figure for that price, maybe I'll buy it and strip everything off the frame for a motorbike. Considering how much I would have to pay for the engine, plus controls, cables, sprockets, brakes, pull start, centrifugal clutch, etc., if purchased separately, it might be worth considering.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Bruce. I couldn't find a gas mini bike on their site. Have a link or is it at a store only? Is cool thought.

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
I've thought about that, too. Issues are the width of the engine (if doing a frame mount) and gearing. The easiest would be a rack mount roller drive. A rack mount chain drive would have the same gearing difficulty as the frame mount.

A hub or bottom bracket is a simple basis for a jackshaft for gearing options. Depending on what side drive it has will determine if you need one or not.

Think it through then do it. :)

Ted

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I saw one of those things at Checker and thought the same thing.

Too bad 5-6hp is totally not Kosher with the law.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
On my way to Dick's sporting goods with a tape and note book!

If I am not back in 3 days, send beer.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Hi Bruce. I couldn't find a gas mini bike on their site. Have a link or is it at a store only? Is cool thought.
I had seen them in the store some time ago, when they were priced at $399. Then they went on sale for $299. I happened to be in the store yesterday just as the clerk was marking them down to $249. Now, they're making it almost impossible for me to pass up.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
I saw one of those things at Checker and thought the same thing.

Too bad 5-6hp is totally not Kosher with the law.
Neither is an 80cc, 2 stroke. The tag on the engine says it is 97cc. Not all that much more. It's all about being sneaky and keeping a low profile.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have returned. No minibike but I did pick-up beer. (who is ready?) The engine with clutch cover is too (is it "to" or "too"?) wide for peddles. For the price and mods, I can't see it being good for a frame mounted MB. Would be a perfect rack mount. I still think it is a great thought and worth looking into as a frame mounted engine. There is a thread here about a HF engine. 79cc 4 stroke that with the shaft cut off would just make the magic 9 inches and fit inside wide cranks. $88 in store.

What would be uber cool is a 50cc 4 stroke with lighting! I bet some one some where has made a minibike like that.

Bruce, thanks for the thought! It has potential. I saw one today (minibike) that had a right side shaft with a rear sprocket the size of bike cranks. Would make a natural MB with intrinsic gearing.

Back to trolling the net for the perfect engine. It is our quest!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Bruce. Seems silly but Learning proper English is driving me crazy and making me look bad. There are 3 to, too and two's. Who thought spelling sword with a "W" was a good idea and I have a speech problem and can't say "lisp" even though I have one. Just seems cruel. lol

Talked to a guy who knows old minibikes, he thinks he has one that will work. You are the man Bruce, this could be a winner bud. Thanks again. If this can work, you can make it! Keep thunking......

All about the you making it happen

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Hi Dan,
English is a very difficult language to master, and trying "to", isn't silly at all. I've always believed that a good command of the language will do more for you than any other skill.
Talked to a guy who knows old minibikes, he thinks he has one that will work.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean that he has an old minibike that he thinks will run? Or, do you mean that he has one that he thinks could be parted out for use on a motorbike?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I have built several mini bikes and the basic four stroke they use would be awfully wide for a bicycle frame, pedals wouldn't clear if you were doing a regular in frame mount. I used those 49 c.c. pocket bike racing engines on a couple of them, but they are a little fragile. They use that small # 25 chain.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
You can see the traditional mini bike four stroke is way to wide.
John
That's "way too wide".

to: indicates direction. "I am going to the bank."

too: (1.) indicates relative measurement, usually of size or distance. "I would go to the bank, but it's too far from home."
(2.) indicates inclusiveness: "I too will go to the bank."

two: one more than one, one less than three. "The two of us will go to the bank, although it may be too far from home."

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
So basically, one plus one equals two? ;)

Ted
That is technically, mathematically correct; "One engine plus one engine equals two engines", but not necessarily from an aesthetic viewpoint; "One cloud added to one cloud equals one larger cloud".

You can tell I spend a lot of time thinking about this sort of stuff, which I suppose is why my wife says I should get a real life.

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
That is technically, mathematically correct; "One engine plus one engine equals two engines", but not necessarily from an aesthetic viewpoint; "One cloud added to one cloud equals one larger cloud".

You can tell I spend a lot of time thinking about this sort of stuff, which I suppose is why my wife says I should get a real life.
So if you dig a hole and fill up half of it, you have a ?

Ted

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
IF you dig a hole;

And then fill it back up, you MAY have a sore back, a half-filled hole, and a reason to go to the store to buy two beers. English can be difficult, but certainly not impossible. Was this too much information?

The Mini bike engines are too wide, I agree. I will see if I can get my friend to tell you about Get YOUR EZmotorbike TODAY! wherein you can have a nice 4-stroke, in frame, using the wider crank, with NO noisy gearbox, NO Chinese auto clutch, American components, "Quick Change Silent Power Transmission", optional "EZ-Pipe", with exceptional fit for ALL frames, and great potential for Dealer opportunities.

I will ask Quenton today to post some info, thier new website is up and running, but in process of being built, so you'll need to be patient as it grows.

It sure is nice to have the new 4-stroke section.

Mike