Minarelli V1 help needed

GoldenMotor.com

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I just acquired a 1979 Cimatti City Bike with the V1 engine and I'm hoping someone has some experience with these and can advise me on performance upgrades. I'm not looking for anything radical. I just need to do about 35 mph tops but would like to get there fast. It has the 11 tooth sprocket.

thanks

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Best upgrade is the Polini 74cc cylinder kit. Around 150 bucks, and increases stock HP from about 1.9 to 4.9. Easy install, bolts right on, Italian made. Even if you don't do any other mods, this thing will still rip.

Check treatland mopeds to get one.

10t cog up front will help acceleration.

Obviously, bigger carb and tuned pipe will make it faster.

I've got a V1 on my race bike and ported the stock jug, built an expansion chamber, 18mm mikuni carb and could hit 45mph, but it took a long time, and sucked trying to get out of the corners on the track.

Once I put the Polini kit on, the bike turned into a rocket ship. With the right gearing it'll probably hit 70mph on the street.

Right now it's geared at 9-42, 'cause I want it quicker, not faster, for the track.

Reactions: Chaz

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Thank you, Bairdco. That is very good news. I found a manual online but not too much else, I'll dig through some of the minarelli posts over at moped army and a couple of others. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions for you. One thing I am curious about is how high do these engines rev?

thanks again for the excellent info.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
Not sure how high they rev, but I've had mine at four races, two while modified stock, and two with the kit, and haven't burnt it up yet.

I ran it at 20:1 with maxima racing oil, and just got some Klotz Benol for this week's race at willow springs.

V1's are pretty indestructible. And they're Italian made. Unlike chinese motors, these beasts don't require as much maintenance, don't blow up if you add more power, and you can buy a ton of "real" performance parts for it.

Mine's on a modified bicycle built to race. (One of these days I'll post a thread with pics.) On your Cimatti, I wouldn't worry about revs. It'll handle it.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Thanks for the info. I'm getting very excited. I wonder if the stock clutch can take the added power or should I expect to get a stronger one? I have an expansion chamber from a Morini engine which should do nicely. It is about the size of the Sick Bikes chamber.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
I run the stock clutch. I bought a red urethane performance clutch but it didn't work for my bike as well as the stock clutch.

I welded the pins and grooved the shoes and it works great.

I use non-detergent 20w oil in it. If you use regular oil with detergent, it foams up and clutch slips.