Merkel tribute

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Here is a link to Ricks Rides. I purchased the tri car's motor from him that he'd modified for me. He had found a treasure trove of Gravely Model L's and he talked about how to modify them. I last heard from him years ago and his health had deteriorated to the point that he was not able to do much.

Steve.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37995
I wondered what became of him as he was an interesting builder.

Bruce W.R. was the guy who posted (this forum) of building a bike for his Gravely, but seems to have not posted any update of his work, if he completed it.

Do you recall the guy who was casting custom parts for the Gravely's Steve? He had some beautiful side plates with ornate factory style Gravely lettering and posted some nice photos of his work then nothing...

Rick C.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Here is a link to Ricks Rides. I purchased the tri car's motor from him that he'd modified for me. He had found a treasure trove of Gravely Model L's and he talked about how to modify them. I last heard from him years ago and his health had deteriorated to the point that he was not able to do much.

Steve.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37995
Thanks very interesting
I wondered what became of him as he was an interesting builder.

Bruce W.R. was the guy who posted (this forum) of building a bike for his Gravely, but seems to have not posted any update of his work, if he completed it.

Do you recall the guy who was casting custom parts for the Gravely's Steve? He had some beautiful side plates with ornate factory style Gravely lettering and posted some nice photos of his work then nothing...

Rick C.
Indian22
No I never saw any of this gravely info. I do not remember where I purchased this model D engine. However there are two things I know about this engine.
1: The price had 2 be cheap.
2: It was love # first sight.

I have been looking around for a Gravely model L, seems that the go for $250 & up. I hope to get one for next winters build, as I only build in winter as not to waste the good riding weather.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I just sent him a PM, Rick. I doubt I'll hear back from him but it's worth a try. I believe he told me he had a major heart attack and wasn't doing anything with bikes any more due to his health.

I don't remember who it was that did the really nice parts for the Gravely's. I'll let you know if I hear back from him.

Steve.

Reactions: indian22

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
Are there any other known clockwise engines? That gravely is the perfect rotation and size for a merkel motorwheel replica

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Steve for the update..

Russell I really like the idea of a Merkel motor wheel replica, with the huge mass of Gravely powering it; exhilarating and somewhat frightening at the same time.

Rick C.

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
Thanks Steve for the update..

Russell I really like the idea of a Merkel motor wheel replica, with the huge mass of Gravely powering it; exhilarating and somewhat frightening at the same time.

Rick C.
I think you meant me, Indian. I've been meaning to make a merkel wheel for a while, but I cant' find a slim enough engine to make it work. I graverly with a bosch magneto would work perfectly. I wish we had some around here.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I just sent him a PM, Rick. I doubt I'll hear back from him but it's worth a try. I believe he told me he had a major heart attack and wasn't doing anything with bikes any more due to his health.

I don't remember who it was that did the really nice parts for the Gravely's. I'll let you know if I hear back from him.

Steve.
Steve,
Thx

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I think you meant me, Indian. I've been meaning to make a merkel wheel for a while, but I cant' find a slim enough engine to make it work. I graverly with a bosch magneto would work perfectly. I wish we had some around here.
Sorry Rocket hadn't had my second cup of Joe went I posted.