Magneto Generator Project Help

GoldenMotor.com

chicken

Jul 3, 2021
CDI

Coil I use - note: this coil,s 12v will NOT power USB propperly only other coil will the cheap one I mentioned

Thanks for the links. I had no idea magnetos like these exists. You mentioned that it doesn’t power USBs , but I’m guessing it’ll work well for lights right?

Reactions: Testname111

Testname111

May 20, 2021
Well the bbr (BikeBerryRacing) coil gives me great start spark I don't know if it will power lights without fluctuating?? It should power LED, but I'd go for the cheap looking coil as I know its better power wise

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
You need a full wave rectifier to capture both halves of the wave. Yours is probably a single phase that simply cuts off one half to make the current behave like DC. I've used ignition coils as lighting coils and they work fine with a full wave rectifier. You can rewind with heavier copper wire to bump the output. The home made coil on my 79cc Predator runs an 1165 LED headlight bulb, LED tail light, LED brake light, and a 6 volt moped horn. You have to space the poles of the laminated core .001 of an inch from the magnet. I use a standard business card which is about .001 thick, plus it takes on the contour of the flywheel when adjusting the spacing.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
You need a full wave rectifier to capture both halves of the wave. Yours is probably a single phase that simply cuts off one half to make the current behave like DC. I've used ignition coils as lighting coils and they work fine with a full wave rectifier. You can rewind with heavier copper wire to bump the output. The home made coil on my 79cc Predator runs an 1165 LED headlight bulb, LED tail light, LED brake light, and a 6 volt moped horn. You have to space the poles of the laminated core .001 of an inch from the magnet. I use a standard business card which is about .001 thick, plus it takes on the contour of the flywheel when adjusting the spacing.
Not disputing the rest of your post but typing paper is about.003 thick and the larger wire will decrease the voltage and increase the current available.

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Riding up highway 101 at sunset
Good idea and very do-able. Just by looking at your photos I can tell you that you need to be more precise winding your wire. The wire must lay uniformly on the bracket and the gauge of wire may be wrong. Try rewrapping it very neatly and running it again. The more wraps you have the more juice it will produce.

I run a 6v add on coil with a 12v cree headlamp. It dims out at idle but it lights up bright enough to see while moving and I wont burn it up at high revs.

Last edited:

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
In addition to what Dennis suggests, the core should have multiple steel plates with insulators between each layer. The wiring should have an insulated coating (lacquer) and it should be wound on a non-conducting material like tape where it contacts the core. I took moped lighting coils apart to figure out how to reverse engineer them. Good luck on your upgrade.

Denis Zen

Mar 30, 2021
Riding up highway 101 at sunset
Oh
In addition to what Dennis suggests, the core should have multiple steel plates with insulators between each layer. The wiring should have an insulated coating (lacquer) and it should be wound on a non-conducting material like tape where it contacts the core. I took moped lighting coils apart to figure out how to reverse engineer them. Good luck on your upgrade.

Oh and the area you wrap your winding around MUST BE even and straight... Yers is a little to wavy ... Just saying. But don't give up and let us know how it goes!