Mag rims for fat tires, or "Do spokes really break so easy?"

GoldenMotor.com

kaygo

Nov 19, 2019
The bike I got earlier this spring, it came with 24"x3" Kenda Flame fat tires, and I want to keep the tires for my build. Obviously it's my first build, else I wouldn't be asking about the spokes. Anyway, I heard about how the extra torque has a tendency to snap them like twigs, and I figured the best way to get around that was mag rims.

Lo and behold, 'twould appear there be none such a beast for yon tyres. Honest, I've looked. Widdled away seven hours on Google.

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
On most bike the drive chain will not clear 3" rear tire without going with jack shaft setup. Even 2.5 can be a very tight fit on most bikes.

kaygo

Nov 19, 2019
Okay, but a jackshaft is easier to find than the rims, which are what I'm concerned about at this moment.

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Idea, maby try to offset the motor mount plate so the engine sits further to the left sticks out a little more and possibly clear the fat tire also I do think they actually make a bracket for the engine to be offset I'm not sure which companies sell it but I seen it somewhere

Reactions: indian22

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
Idea, maby try to offset the motor mount plate so the engine sits further to the left sticks out a little more and possibly clear the fat tire also I do think they actually make a bracket for the engine to be offset I'm not sure which companies sell it but I seen it somewhere
that depends on the bike frame, my OCC runs a 4.25 rear tire width and the motor mount offsets the engine to do that, but its nothing like a standard V frame..the mount i currently use was ebay you can see the mount in the picture.... kelly

Attachments

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Hay......Kelly, good lookin set up ,couple of questions n stuff , cannot see the tire angle for your chain drive if you can photo maby from the front wheel axle height to the back wheel wondering how close the chain rides and your exhaust looks great bet its loud late at night ha that's great but is that a spacer between the flange and cylinder and what's the purpose? To make the header longer for more low end power? Or to clear the fraim style? And a totally bitchen job on the paint A1 for sure ,ok thanks

Reactions: indian22

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
This the work bike chain with hub adaptors and 56t CD sprocket on a 26in wheel on a29in bicycle the original went flat this works for now ...........lewdog... over
my daily rider is often a case of works for now : ) the little exhaust port is called an X-Port and was originally bought as a performance thing but its about worthless in that regard, but i needed pedal clearance on the pipe so i ground the x-port off in a wedge nothing on one side down about 3/8 on the other end and that turned the pipe inward enough for pedal clearance .. some pics of the rear on the OCC got it out and rode today it needs a cleanup ....kelly

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Probably not gonna find a 24" fat bike mag. I've never seen one.

Trying to find a 24x3 rim is a *****, too. I got some weinmann dhl65's a few years back, but the place I got them from is long gone. There's a place in Germany you can get them if you want to spend the money.

https://www.robsson.de/en/wide-rims/36-spoke-holes/double-wall-rims/24-rim-size/

Spoked wheels are fine if they're built right. I use mine on my 50+mph race bike with no problems. But I also have 11g spokes and a vintage Italian motorcycle hub...
IMG_20191103_223025.jpg

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
huskybicycles or worksman have heavy duty wheels. I've been building and riding a bit less than 3 years and I can only speak of my own experience. Ive seen a lot of problems and things break mostly do to my own ignorance or getting in a hurry, but i havent really had problems with spokes, poor maintenance on bearing has been more of a problem but not spokes not even on cheap wheels for average use i dont see any real problem with spokes. Including a picture of my most recent break down the hub is kinked real bad at start up the bicycle chain bound up but the motor caught and this was the result the hub is shot but the spokes are hardly even bent and i was using a rag joint as well.... kelly

Attachments