Looking for tire recommendations.

GoldenMotor.com

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I've started riding a lot more now with the better weather coming.... I'm noticing aside from flat stops from braking like a meathead on pavement, that my rear tire seems to be wearing extremely fast, maybe 50 miles MAX on the 2.15 inch tires shown below and its gone from about 95% to about 50% tread left. This is concerning considering this isn't friction drive. It's 50-50 on off road driving.

Someone please link me to a high mileage, hard compound on/off-road tire. I could even get 30-40k miles on the TSL super swamper's I had on my Suzuki Samurai. Their must be a bike tire that last and still is good for off road use. Also the only time they tire spins is in loose packed gravel and mud as its that time of year.

Here's a pic of the front tire that has hardly worn at all in the same distance.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Yep rear tires will wear like crazy, but you should at least be getting 500mi out of a rear. I run the cst cyclops on the road and put about 130mi a week on my bike, rear tire lasts me a few months now since I stopped doing burnouts.

Make sure you are running the right tire pressure as well. Far as a good off-road tire I cannot recommend one. All I've had on mine for knobbies is junk tires. Maybe try something from the more expensive brands like Schwalbe. All you need is one, anyway.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I went ahead and bought a new rear tire we will see how long this one holds up for I'll keep you updated it must be the fact that knobby's are such soft rubber. A road tire just wont work for me.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Also this tire is 2.25 inches wide vs the old 2.15 inch wide tire, so maybe better grip?

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
This was explained to me by a Michelin tire representative in lot more technical terms, but after dumbing it down to my level, I think this is what he said.

From my farming experience, the road use of tractor tires with lugs. The asphalt will literally eat the lugs off of the tractor tires. You are better off using a tire that doesn't have the lugs. Street tires have more contact with the asphalt so the asphalt doesn't have all of those "corners: to "bite" into.