Looking for part

GoldenMotor.com

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
I am looking for a chain tensioning wheel. I need another one so I can keep the chain away from the frame in one spot. The chain has removed some of the tubing. I can fill that in, and I want to keep the chain away from that area.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
They show up on ebay from time to time as well... I have one but it is toast... In my opinion all of them are accidents looking to happen.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Have you considered using your ability to "create" and make one with some simple parts available anywhere? Skateboard wheel, metal stock from Tractor Supply or Home Depot, ect?

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
before you put a tensioner on , why did it rub a hole in your frame the first time? and is it going to happen again with a tensioner?

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
before you put a tensioner on , why did it rub a hole in your frame the first time? and is it going to happen again with a tensioner?
I can repair the frame. With the chain tensioner I can keep them apart and from happening again.

Thanks for the tip about tractor supply.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
With a tensioner the chain is sitting higher, that is why the chain will not rub. On my first bike I did not use the tensioner because I was able to put washers on the rear wheel shaft which spread open my bike frame enough to clear the frame for the chain.
You could also see if flipping the rear sprocket so that the chain runs closer to the rear wheel may help, or even leaving the rubber off of the outside of the sprocket may help.
From what I have seen, every bike and rear wheel is different and it could be just a matter of spending days and days screwing around until things work out for you.
If you look around you may notice that a lot of belt driven machines use what may be called an idler and they have bearings. It could be as simple as replacing the ones that come with the bike kits with one of these off of a snow blower of garden tractor.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Don't leave the rubber off any part of the sprocket, it will ruin your spokes.

Make sure the chain run is straight as possible, with no offset.

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
With a tensioner the chain is sitting higher, that is why the chain will not rub. On my first bike I did not use the tensioner because I was able to put washers on the rear wheel shaft which spread open my bike frame enough to clear the frame for the chain.
You could also see if flipping the rear sprocket so that the chain runs closer to the rear wheel may help, or even leaving the rubber off of the outside of the sprocket may help.
From what I have seen, every bike and rear wheel is different and it could be just a matter of spending days and days screwing around until things work out for you.
If you look around you may notice that a lot of belt driven machines use what may be called an idler and they have bearings. It could be as simple as replacing the ones that come with the bike kits with one of these off of a snow blower of garden tractor.
The sprocket is already running withe the chain inward. I have 2 washers on that side to keep the sprocket from rubbing on the frame as well. I have an alloy wheel that the sprocket bolts into instead of the disk break. The chain was rubbing the frame at the top of the sprocket a little away from the sprocket becouse of the side to side movement. I purchesed the chain tightener from tractor supply and it will work nicely. thanks for all the help.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
(c)Mine works seams an accident waiting always check it. whats this tractor one look like? Can I get a pict or part number?