Looking for gas bike for canada

Claudio

Feb 4, 2020
Hi all, new member here. I just finished reading a book called motorized bycycles from amazon and got this website link at the end of the book. I need recommendations where I can order a low cost, comfortable,50cc or less gas bike thats either built or easy to build and has to be legal in Canada for street.

if you have any information for me let me know please.. so far i just checked out gasbike.net and bikeberry.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Unfortunately only electric bikes are legal for street use in Canada. The motor can't be any larger than 500W and the speed can't be any more than 32kmh. Depending on where you live the fines if your caught can be quite high if your riding a gas powered bicycle.

Steve.

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Unfortunately only electric bikes are legal for street use in Canada. The motor can't be any larger than 500W and the speed can't be any more than 32kmh. Depending on where you live the fines if your caught can be quite high if your riding a gas powered bicycle.

Steve.
Thanks for that Steve. The law is still evolving in Canada as it is I imagine it is elsewhere. Currently in Ontario the emphases seems to be eliminating the electric scooters. Here is what the current requirements pertaining to power assisted bicycles are:

Highway Traffic Act

ONTARIO REGULATION 369/09

POWER-ASSISTED BICYCLES

Consolidation Period: From December 6, 2018 to the e-Laws currency date.

Last amendment: 487/18.

This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.

Maximum weight
1. The unladen weight of a power-assisted bicycle must not be more than 120 kilograms. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 1.

Wheel width, diameter
2. (1) The wheels of a power-assisted bicycle must not be less than 35 millimetres wide. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 2 (1).

(2) The diameter of the wheels of a power-assisted bicycle must not be less than 350 millimetres. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 2 (2).

Battery and motor
3. (1) The battery and motor of a power-assisted bicycle must be securely fastened to the bicycle to prevent them from moving while the bicycle is in motion. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 3 (1).

(2) The motor of a power-assisted bicycle must cease to propel the bicycle forward if pedalling stops, the accelerator is released or the brakes are applied. O. Reg. 487/18, s. 1.

Electric terminals
4. All electric terminals on a power-assisted bicycle must be completely insulated and covered. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 4.

Brakes
5. The brakes of a power-assisted bicycle must be capable of bringing the bicycle, while being operated at a speed of 30 kilometres per hour on a clean, paved and level surface, to a full stop within nine metres from the point at which the brakes were applied. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 5.

No modifications
6. A power-assisted bicycle must not be ridden on, driven or operated if it has been modified after its manufacture in any way that may result in increasing its power or its maximum speed beyond the limits set out in clause (d) of the definition of “power-assisted bicycle” in section 2 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada). O. Reg. 369/09, s. 6.

Good working order
7. A power-assisted bicycle must not be ridden on, driven or operated unless it is in good working order. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 7.

8. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 369/09, s. 8.

As you see the wattage limitation have been eliminated, no mention of gas engines or other, that's why all my motorized bikes have an electric motor and I never ride on roadways, not because of the police, but because of the crazy vehicle drivers that share our roads.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Davideo,

Here are the laws in British Columbia. They are directly linked to our federal laws. At one time E bikes were illegal in Canada and gas powered bikes were legal.

When it was decided to make them legal the government had both bikes tested in their safety lab and opened the discussion up to interested parties.

The spandex crowd showed up proclaiming that they should not be allowed then changed their tune to no more that 250w. The government went with 500w so they would be usable without pedalling.

Then two other entities showed up. The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia {I.C.B.C.} and Ford Motor Company.

I.C.B.C. because they wanted to control the insurance side of it and they are the provincially run auto insurer and what they did saved all the insurance companies filling separately.

Ford Motors because they were designing and making the Ford Think line of small electric cars and E bikes. They wanted legislation of course to protect them. They have since stopped production.

The maximum wattage allowed is 500w. That is a federal mandate.

Steve.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/151_2002

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Hi Davideo,

Here are the laws in British Columbia. They are directly linked to our federal laws. At one time E bikes were illegal in Canada and gas powered bikes were legal.

When it was decided to make them legal the government had both bikes tested in their safety lab and opened the discussion up to interested parties.

The spandex crowd showed up proclaiming that they should not be allowed then changed their tune to no more that 250w. The government went with 500w so they would be usable without pedalling.

Then two other entities showed up. The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia {I.C.B.C.} and Ford Motor Company.

I.C.B.C. because they wanted to control the insurance side of it and they are the provincially run auto insurer and what they did saved all the insurance companies filling separately.

Ford Motors because they were designing and making the Ford Think line of small electric cars and E bikes. They wanted legislation of course to protect them. They have since stopped production.

The maximum wattage allowed is 500w. That is a federal mandate.

Steve.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/151_2002
Looks like they have the BC Power Assisted Bikers pretty much boxed in. My observations on bike safety on the trails is, the real danger is from the Spandex outfitted road racers who flash by in packs.

Reactions: fasteddy