Long Time Coming

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Started this bike five years ago. Roughed it out in a week and its been sitting ever since. Decided it time to finish all my projects, or get rid of em. Its basically done just a few loose ends. Built on a Pacific Schwinn Delmar frame, with Huffy wheels, a Whizzer tank, and a 45yr old Briggs 3hp with an auto clutch driving a 3sp hub. Will post more pics as it progresses.
02F84453-3344-40D9-9522-4FC99BD7FD05.jpeg

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Here is the reduction. The overall ratio is 10.25. Thru the hub the ratios are 1st -13.98, 2nd 10.25(direct), and 3rd a 1.36 overdrive with a 7.53 ratio. Pretty tall but it should pull it at the upper speeds. Notice this is a faux M/B. Pedals are foot rests. Pedals not required anymore in my state. Notice where the rear brakes are.
39B7106C-8A3B-44B7-B2C4-8BC3795A724F.jpeg

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Here is the reduction. The overall ratio is 10.25. Thru the hub the ratios are 1st -13.98, 2nd 10.25(direct), and 3rd a 1.36 overdrive with a 7.53 ratio. Pretty tall but it should pull it at the upper speeds. Notice this is a faux M/B. Pedals are foot rests. Pedals not required anymore in my state. Notice where the rear brakes are. View attachment 106975
Dig the gear set up thru the bottom bracket

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the kind comments yall.
The bottom bracket is actually two flange bearings bolted in place with the bolts spanning across. This puts actual bearings with grease fittings in place of the typical bottom bearings. They fit perfectly. Should last forever.

Hey Curt. The hub is a Shimano Nexus. I have run several when using an auto clutch with no issues. I doubt one would survive long being pedal started. However the auto clutch engagement is very easy on it. I just let the engine return to idle when shifting.
Its pretty close to being done with a few minor details left. I think its going to be a great rider with a relaxed cruise. At 4k rpms it has a calculated top speed of 43 in 3rd, around 30 in 2nd. I have turned these engines easily to 5k with no issues. That would have a top speed around 50. Doubt I would ride it that fast, but it should cruise easily around forty. A nice cruise speed.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
About brakes, its a bit under braked. Has a 160mm front disc and rim rears. Should stop fine until in the upper range. I will ride accordingly. I wanted 180mm front but didnt have the clearance. the front disc was actually added to a non disc wheel that had a large enough hub to drill for it.
Brake handles are British motorcycle reproductions. Got plenty of leverage to squeeze em good.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Heres the finished bike. A good bit of final engineering has been added. The secondary ratio was lowered from a 2.23 to a 3:1 for a smoother take off from stand still. I just centered the new sprocket over the old one and drilled and bolted it in place. Also added is the chrome clutch “spinner”. Safely covers the clutch, and protects the knee. It spins benignly away and can be polished with the knee while riding.
I added a rear chain spring idler, the most reliable way to run a chain. The geometry of the frame/chain line made it difficult but I got it done. Finished all painting. Added a lighting system run by a lipo battery In a battery box.It runs led bulbs. I actually drilled the old sealed beam with a 3/4” diamond hole saw to add the bulb. Thought it would break, but didnt. Brakes work better than expected. Shifting is a bit leisurely as the hand has to move off the throttle. Thats really ok as it allows the engine to unload saving shock to the Nexus hub. Top speed is in the low forties with nice cruise around 35. The old Briggs runs very well and sounds great. Think the final thing will be a PZ19 which will actually bolt to the Briggs updraft manifold with its stock manifold. That relocates the carb to the left.

Attachments

JerryAssburger

Mar 11, 2017
Salem Oregon
Basically finished, lacks tank decals and painting the headlight, adding the round battery box and wiring the lights.
But its rideable. Will prod the ancient Briggs back to life in the morning for a test run. View attachment 106982 View attachment 106983 View attachment 106984 View attachment 106985 View attachment 106986 View attachment 106987
...if it's the 80000 series Briggs (3hp) it should pull you to 40mph at least. I had one on the back of a mountain bike that was completely stock (governor and all) that got me to 38mph. Love this build.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The headlight is a very old fog light. Probably 50s.
The fuel tank is a Gen 2 Whizzer nos. Not the same as the original. I was at one time a dealer for the Gen 2. Definitely
similar but not the same by any means.
The Briggs Im sure would have a higher top end than where I have pushed it, but its old like me, and Im respecting it. I once
built a stock Briggs 5hp for a friends kid in the stock kart class that routinely turned 5500 With out issues. Guessing the old 3 probably would do more than the 4000+ lm turning it, but it lived a hard life before I bought it as parts, so Im going easy on it.

Am probably going to do the updraft PZ19 after a bit of riding, but really should finish the Villiers first. But then I never do that which makes good sense.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
The headlight is a very old fog light. Probably 50s.
The fuel tank is a Gen 2 Whizzer nos. Not the same as the original. I was at one time a dealer for the Gen 2. Definitely
similar but not the same by any means.
The Briggs Im sure would have a higher top end than where I have pushed it, but its old like me, and Im respecting it. I once
built a stock Briggs 5hp for a friends kid in the stock kart class that routinely turned 5500 With out issues. Guessing the old 3 probably would do more than the 4000+ lm turning it, but it lived a hard life before I bought it as parts, so Im going easy on it.

Am probably going to do the updraft PZ19 after a bit of riding, but really should finish the Villiers first. But then I never do that which makes good sense.
Do you still own any Whizzers ?

Reactions: fasteddy

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
No wrench, sold them off over the years. Had 4 left after stopping selling them. Interesting bikes.

Here is the carb mod using what I was told was a PZ19. However it doesnt look like the ones for sale on ebay. Maybe a Mikuni
clone. Anyway it runs perfectly out of the box with just a tweek of the low end screw And I bet ldles around a 1000 rpm. Have a short filter on the way, which wont stick out past the recoil housing. My leg is well forward of the carb anyway. Wanted it to come out on the left side, but the manifold flanges lined up wrong on that side. Was a real trick to get the manifolds and carb to happily marry but it worked. Carb was about $20, money well spent. Carb is leaning at the same angle as the engine. Old Briggs loves it!
51E990D5-26C0-4DEF-B9F9-59D8D0EAA398.jpeg
51E990D5-26C0-4DEF-B9F9-59D8D0EAA398.jpeg