Long POO POO can be a bit of a booger

GoldenMotor.com

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
I got my long poo poo pipe today. Ordered it 3 days ago from bicycle-engines.com This this is a NEAR perfect fit for the Point Beach. Still I'm fussing some with it. It wont work around the large frame adapter that I got from Boy Go Fast, so that has to be addressed. My goal is to get the bike looking a little more like a really old British bike. This helps quite a bit. One bad thing is you can't get inside the muffler and look around in there, drilling holes etc... It's welded up tight. So when it's on, I'll send some pics if anyone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Here's a pic. Still needs some slight adjustment and I have to figure out what to do about the front mount. Nice thing about this pipe is I killed 2 birds, did away with the front pipe that hangs down that I don't like the look of on this bike, and the muffler will hide the tensioner!

Attachments

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Re: Long POO POO can be a bit of a booger - UPDATE

Ok, not so thrilled with the new pipe. Bike vibrates like crazy. I need to secure the pipe and find a stronger mount for the front of the motor. Anybody tell me what the stock setting is for the carb clip? I moved it on the old pipe when Dax suggested to do that along with drilling holes in the exhaust.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Another update. I feel like I'm talking to myself... oh who cares... Anyway, I moved the clip, and adjusted the throttle cable which was to tight. Things are about 80% of how it was. I'm getting there... The muffler isn't as quiet as I had hoped, and it crackles a lot more like a 2 stroke than the old one. Seems to have more power on the hills. I must say this old kings motor has been very forgiving for all the crap I've put it through. I wish I had 2 or 3 more just like it.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Re: Long POO POO can be a bit of a booger - LAST update?

Ok guys, made a semi temporary fix for the front mount. I'll have a metal shop make the mounting I want this winter. I got my bearing style tensioner on, and my problem is the pipe connects right before it. I noticed some blow by showing up at the connection. SO what sealant can I use that won't harden up so I can't get the muffler off to adjust the tensioner?

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Hi Moto,

How did you go about securing the rear of the pipe? Have you tried securing it via the chain tensioner?

I've got the same long pipe, which looks great, but acquires perpetual leaks from the front gasket...probably from vibrations. I haven't yet found a satisfactory way of securing the rear section adequately.

P.S. Watch out! The muffler gets way hot and is easy to brush against.

Steve

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
here's what I did to secure the muffler when I extended it.

Basically just used 2 of the little brackets for the bottom of the CDI, one of the CDI bolts, and 2 of the nuts. Plus a hose clamp.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Hi Moto,

How did you go about securing the rear of the pipe? Have you tried securing it via the chain tensioner?

I've got the same long pipe, which looks great, but acquires perpetual leaks from the front gasket...probably from vibrations. I haven't yet found a satisfactory way of securing the rear section adequately.

Steve
Hey Steve,

Actually I haven't secured it yet. I have some of the soft metal strapping that was sent with the kings kit. I have a place before the muffler I'm looking at. I'll upload a pic when I decide on it.

VincenT

Feb 7, 2008
Seeing your exhaust motivated me to fab an exhaust for my sisters bike. I used 3/4 inch poopoo pipe also..outside diameter is the same but inside diameter is a bit narrower. I cut up the factory exhaust below the bend and before the muffler and bent the pipe to fit using a model-4 bender. I welded a tab to attach to the coaster brake arm mount... The bike does vibrate more... I ran the bike without the muffler...it was too loud and a bit slower. Welded on the stock muffler and it was much better... seemed a bit faster but not as fast as before...more back pressure and all...atleast no more oil flying onto the bike...everything flies out the back...still need to paint and wrap the pipe. Next exhaust will be closer to the frame... my sis hates when I use her bike as the guinea pig

Attachments

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Hi Moto,

Steve
Ok I secured the muffler to the frame with a hose clamp by the pedals. It's very rigid now... And hardly even noticeable. And that is my quest, less is more...

Tonight after my ride I'm going to seal it up tight with muffler patch and hopefully that will end any issues with the muffler.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Seeing your exhaust motivated me to fab an exhaust for my sisters bike. I used 3/4 inch poopoo pipe also..outside diameter is the same but inside diameter is a bit narrower. I cut up the factory exhaust below the bend and before the muffler and bent the pipe to fit using a model-4 bender. I welded a tab to attach to the coaster brake arm mount... The bike does vibrate more... I ran the bike without the muffler...it was too loud and a bit slower. Welded on the stock muffler and it was much better... seemed a bit faster but not as fast as before...more back pressure and all...atleast no more oil flying onto the bike...everything flies out the back...still need to paint and wrap the pipe. Next exhaust will be closer to the frame... my sis hates when I use her bike as the guinea pig
Damn Dude, that's a lot of pipe! How does it run and sound? Looks good, but even better if you have the ability to bend it to follow the contours of the frame.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Hi Moto,

Steve
Got a pic of your bike?